17V-262 recall 2014-2017 View-Navion-Via

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sanibelview said:
TheS1R, can you go into detail what your installer accomplished. Was the original Axxess unit used or is what you call the ASWC-1 a new unit. Haven't looked but is getting to the back of the head unit pretty involved. Appreciate your feedback.

After rereading this thread, looks like I need a good audio installer, this is above my pay grade and sure don't want to take a chance and sure wouldn't trust CW.
[list type=decimal]
[*]Original ASWC-1 reused (aka "the Axxess radio volume control module" in Winnebago terminology). (reference http://www.metraonline.com/part/ASWC-1)
[*]New Metra harness used.
[*]All connections to Winnebago harness disconnected and isolated behind head unit (i.e., Molex connector behind kick panel no longer "live").
[*]ASWC-1 installed using only the Metra harness behind the head unit to the CANbus access point using soldered connections.
[/list]
Total job took two hours, but the owner estimates that they could now repeat in an hour.  They were meticulous as far as removing/reinstalling the dash panels in order to pull the head unit to properly install the ASWC-1.

I added a picture of what you find behind the head unit.  :eek:

Attachments

• 20170603_105919_resized.jpg
    20170603_105919_resized.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 29
I have been in contact with Winnebago over the course of the last several weeks. They are adamant that removal per the TSB is the only (and final) solution, and there will be no compensation to owners for removal of features.

As with my past dealings with Winnebago, just take care of it yourself, as TheS1R has done, to relieve yourself from the headache of taking it to CW, submit the repair to Winnebago and they end up paying about half. Wonder if they will cover to making it right, instead of just discarding their screw up. (IE, their blatant disregard of MB protocols)
TheS1R, did the audio shop have to order the correct Metra harness or is that something most have in stock. Also does the ASWC-1 retain its programming. Always appreciate all involved in getting to a solution.

TheS1R said:
I have been in contact with Winnebago over the course of the last several weeks. They are adamant that removal per the TSB is the only (and final) solution, and there will be no compensation to owners for removal of features.
Anyone know a good class action attorney

Sanibelview said:
... TheS1R, did the audio shop have to order the correct Metra harness or is that something most have in stock. Also does the ASWC-1 retain its programming. ...
The had them in stock since one comes by default with each ASWC-1 -- the shop has extras since they often use one of Metra's vehicle-specific custom harnesses in lieu of the generic one.  They only charged me for labor, providing the harness at no charge.  The ASWC-1 definitely retains its programming when it is unplugged ("Non-volatile memory retains the steering wheel control settings even if the battery is disconnected or the ASWC-1 is removed from the vehicle.").

BTW, the shop owner was more than fair with the charges.  They spent well more than the two hours that he billed investigating the "can of worms" behind the dash as well as remedying the situation.

So after a chain of 6 emails back and forth from [email protected] they have basically told me to pound sand, the end. Even after pointing out that Axxess and Mercedes has said Winnebagos harness is the primary cause of the recall. Pisses me off, but i guess you have to fix it yourself or live without it. Not the way a customer should be treated and expect repeat business.

And this is their tag line on the end of their screw you email

Thank you for being a customer!

I apologize if this is violating forum rules, I am just stating my experience in dealing with this recall. Winnebago is doing their own damage to their reputation by the way they are handling this recall.

Thanks for all the replies on this thread! I read them as I waited to get an answer from a VERY helpful guy on the Winnebago Owners Rep phone line. It's over 80 miles from here to the nearest official Winne facility at Thousand Oaks. He said that until the module is disconnected my rig SHOULD be safe to drive, but if I started getting a lot of error codes to treat them as real and react appropriately. He told me that I could just disconnect the control module myself, but I should send in the recall card. He said he also expected that Winnebago would have a technical fix to replace the volume control, but he didn't know when. Thanks again!

Dave Landis
Palmdale, CA
2015 N24G

lefcoasdave said:
Thanks for all the replies on this thread! I read them as I waited to get an answer from a VERY helpful guy on the Winnebago Owners Rep phone line. It's over 80 miles from here to the nearest official Winne facility at Thousand Oaks. He said that until the module is disconnected my rig SHOULD be safe to drive, but if I started getting a lot of error codes to treat them as real and react appropriately. He told me that I could just disconnect the control module myself, but I should send in the recall card. He said he also expected that Winnebago would have a technical fix to replace the volume control, but he didn't know when. Thanks again!

Dave Landis
Palmdale, CA
2015 N24G
WOW! These latest responses hurt my head. Winnebago has been adamant that the ONLY solution was removal. Why would they remove AND DISPOSE OF the ASWC-1 only to reinstall it (or similar module) later?!?

Dave, have you heard anything back form Winnebago?  Seems they gave you some hope they were going to have a fix.

Seems I have had all the issues and emails as everyone else. This is not acceptable.
Winnebago only contacted Riverpark, the distributor for the Axxess module,  It is made by
Metra Electronics in Florida.  The NHTSA didn't do much in the way of
investigating this problem. And Metra Electronics had no idea until a few week ago
this was a problem. Not until users like myself called them.  Yes Molex is
not a connector I would use for a sensitive data line.

Outland210 said:
Seems I have had all the issues and emails as everyone else. This is not acceptable.
Winnebago only contacted Riverpark, the distributor for the Axxess module,  It is made by
Metra Electronics in Florida.  The NHTSA didn't do much in the way of
investigating this problem. And Metra Electronics had no idea until a few week ago
this was a problem. Not until users like myself called them.  Yes Molex is
not a connector I would use for a sensitive data line.
Unfortunately, this is a common scenario within the RV industry where we have several levels of vendors integrating products into a vehicle for a single purpose. In this case, Winnebago (https://winnebagoind.com/) buys the "audio system" from RiverPark (https://riverparkinc.com) who integrates the head unit from XiteSolutions (http://www.xsna.ca) with the Axxess (https://axxessinterfaces.com/) ASWC-1 from Metra (http://www.metraonline.com/) into a chassis built by Mercedes (https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/home). Winnebago wants everything to be plug-and-play for "easy" installation on the assembly line, and we wind up with issues like this due to improper installation.

Who's on first?!?

Im with you on this 100%.  Just spent time with an employee of winnebago on the phone.  He told me that they would NOT reimburse me for having an independent repair shop remove the module.  Camping World (God forbid) told me I could not bring it in until July 5th and it would take 4 6 weeks.  Yeah, that's going to happen.  Winnebago rep responded to me when I questioned why he would be blindly repeating that Winnebago was doing all it could do..."I am Winnebago."  I said, no, you're an employee.  He responded: "I am Winnebago.  I represent them."  They better get a better representative.  This entire thing stinks to high heaven.  Sorry but it does. I would like to see some of you getting really irate.  Maybe we could get something done.  Just accepting this is not going to do a damn thing.

I feel your pain in dealing with Winnebago "Customer Relations" as the man I spoke with re: my taillight issue was anything but "customer relations." 

I had the repairs done at my local rv dealer who had also dealt with the same man and had the same unnecessary dressing down from him.  Disappointing for such a company. 

This Winnebago employee said the water gets into my taillight while my motorhome is motionless in my driveway by being flipped up off the rear wheel, hitting the mud flap, doing a 180, traveling along the lower body edge, making a 90 degree turn then landing in the taillight.  If you're familiar with Seinfeld, that is one magic loogie.

So after having the ASWC-1 properly installed (actually removed and properly reinstalled) by a professional audio shop (one recommended by Metra), I sent the suspect harness with the Molex connector on one end and the ASWC-1 connector on the other end to Metra for their assessment. Here is the response that I received:

"With what you experienced by having your dash apart, and by seeing that harness in my hand, it all makes sense and is exactly what I assumed it would be like. That really hurts me that a company that big is only offering to remove the interface. I would have thought that they would offer a much better solution that that. These definitely are not inexpensive vehicles. I really sympathize for owners of these vehicles. I can only make this suggestion for people that own these vehicles. If the interface is not posing a problem, leave it be. But be ready to unplug the ASWC-1 if the problem does arise. And if so, contact a local Installer to have it installed properly. If they are not aware of a local Installer that they trust, contact us and we will refer one. And for those that want to do that to be proactive, just do it for peace of mind. I can tell you this. I have only heard of one other case of this problem before this recall came to be (and am questionable if that is even related). And I didn?t put two and two together until after all this. So either this is a rare situation that this happens. Or customers have never contacted Axxess for a solution. I hope all this information helps people. Oh, if you ever hear of someone having this problem via the forum. Please see if they can provide a video showing the problem as the harness is being wiggled. I would love to have that."

As you can see, Metra is more than willing to help.

Back
Top Bottom