Foggy Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asalvitti

I have a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser. The front-most side windows (trangular) are dual-pane and are really foggy.  The right window blocks my mirrors.  Does anyone know where I can get replacement windows, or better yet, have them installed. I don't think they need to be dual-pane.

Interesting reading here.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,103519.0.html

I had a dual pane window repaired this past year at Fog Dr in Searcy AR. They were fast & efficient. They removed the window, cleaned it up and put it back together, and had it back in the coach by noon. One piece was etched. They did not have the right size tempered glass in stock so they took measurements and told me if I wanted to have it replaced to call ahead when I wanted to drop back by. Frankly it looked pretty good, but as I was planning to be in the area several months down the line I called ahead and dropped by to have it done. After parking in their free electric hookups overnight, we were totally finished up and on the road by noon the next day.  Great people, great service, very fair pricing.  FAR less costly than replacing the entire window.

We got our foggy windows done at Suncoast in Hudson.  Our experience was OK, but it cost far more than it was worth to have the dual pane windows.  IMHO, single pane glass would be fine for these applications.  Not sure what the double pane glass is for--any insulation value has to be minimal.  Its just a recipe for problems.
A RV shop in Daytona beach mentioned that they had a glass guy who could do single pane replacement and we should have done that.

Sailorkane said:
We got our foggy windows done at Suncoast in Hudson.  Our experience was OK, but it cost far more than it was worth to have the dual pane windows.  IMHO, single pane glass would be fine for these applications.  Not sure what the double pane glass is for--any insulation value has to be minimal.  Its just a recipe for problems.
A RV shop in Daytona beach mentioned that they had a glass guy who could do single pane replacement and we should have done that.

Sailorkane
While I agree that the insulating value of dual pane glass, (which has a R-Value of 1.72), is minimal.
However dual pane glass insulates nearly 2 times better than single pane glass, (which has a R-Value of only 0.9).

Edit by staff: removed excess white space

Sailorkane said:
Not sure what the double pane glass is for--any insulation value has to be minimal.  Its just a recipe for problems.
It does have insulation value, and also adds sound deadening.  The difference will be most obvious when camping in cooler weather and single pane windows are dripping with condensation running off the glass, staining the walls or worse while the double pane windows remain pretty much dry.  No single pane for me if there is any way to avoid them ...if I could have a dual pane windshield I would do it!!

John Canfield said:
That link added to our Winnebago and Chassis resources thread by the Sun Coast Design listing.
Hi John

I can't find the Winnebago and Chassis resources thread.
Could you please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Bob

Sorry, I found it.. Guess I just was having a seniors moment.
Thanks

afchap said:
It does have insulation value, and also adds sound deadening.  The difference will be most obvious when camping in cooler weather and single pane windows are dripping with condensation running off the glass, staining the walls or worse while the double pane windows remain pretty much dry.  No single pane for me if there is any way to avoid them ...if I could have a dual pane windshield I would do it!!
What Paul said. Our new Ford Fusion Hybrid in the Platinum trim has some sort of 'special' acoustic windshield glass which lowers wind noise and perhaps provides some extra R value.

Back
Top Bottom