1997 Vectra 34 Grand Tour - My nose (and rear) came loose!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eodvic

As I mentioned in the subject, on my way to the beach these past weekend, the right fender, nose (the whole panel under the engine access door) and the rear ?bumper panel?? came loose.

I purchased the RV almost two years ago, drove from Texas to NC, and back without any issues, until this weekend. as I mentioned above, while driving this weekend, the passenger side ?fender?? came loose, and it was hanging and rubbing against the tire (it burn a whole on the panel). I stopped, secured it with heavy duty zip ties and duct tape, and continued on.

It started raining heavily, and about a 100 miles later on my side view mirror I saw my ?rear bumper cover? (sorry, not sure what else to call it) was flapping in the wind/rain, on the driver side of the coach. I pulled over and with more duct tape, secure it to continue on.

once I arrived to my campground I was able to inspect it more carefully, and I can tell it is not the first time this happened. I can see that at some point, at least the ?nose panel? had been re-attached with double sided tape!! (yes, double sided tape) and the addition of two metal brackets at the bottom of the left and right side, connecting them to their respective fender panels. I did not noticed these when I bought it, as I had never owned, driven or even been inside an RV when I purchase it).

I apologize for all the details, but I wanted to provide you with as much information as possible prior to asking my questions.

1. How are these panels (fender, nose and rear) supposed to be secured to the RV? I am assuming that double-sided tape is not a method used by the factory.

2. My plan is to use some type of epoxy to secure them to the frame (instead of double sided tape), and reattach the ?bracket? that broke loose (the bottom edge of the front panel), and maybe use some type of heavy duty adhesive/silicone/sealer on the seams to keep the air from getting in as I drive.

I will really appreciate your suggestions, ideas and experience in correcting this problem. Thanks a lot

Vic

PS
While the duct tape and zip ties held for the 300 mile return trip, I really do not like the ?look? of it.

I don't know on your specific coach, but in fact some body panels on  my coach (wheel wells) were secured on the bottom lips with double-sided tape (and not high quality double sided tape either). Crazy, but fact. Both the front & rear lower body panels have some hidden screws at the top, but also some areas where the fiberglass is secured to metal framework with epoxy. Many owners have had the rear engine access door and the front generator access door come off. Some have secured their loose door panels with stainless steel round-head bolts. My rear access door has been re-glued.

My rear body panel has been re-glued on one bottom corner. I have used 3m Auto Trim tape (it works great if you can clean the surface before using it) to re-secure the bottom front corner of the driver side wheel well, and added a screw at the rear bottom corner of the driver side wheel well.

Eodvic said:
...2. My plan is to use some type of epoxy to secure them to the frame (instead of double sided tape), and reattach the ?bracket? that broke loose (the bottom edge of the front panel).. ..
Like Paul said, double sided sticky tape in some places. The forward wheel well trim on our Horizon has sticky tape which happens to be under the diesel fuel filler necks. Diesel + adhesive doesn't work well.

Anyway, epoxy is a good idea for some applications, particularly any metal bracket that was glued to the inside of a fiberglass panel. Do not use epoxy anywhere you might need future access. I like WEST system epoxy with the appropriate filler (otherwise the resin is too runny.)

On a similar note, I had the grill at the rear of the MH fall out of the frame. Turns out it was secured with epoxy (not very well). I re bonded it and it has held for several years now. Just do a complete job and it may well be fine.

Ernie

You might be surprised at the strength of some double sided tape. I use 3M VHB (very high bond) double sided tape to attach the solar panel brackets to the fiberglass roof of my RV. They have been on there for 3 years now and I guaranty you, you cannot pull them loose without breaking the f/g. The only way to break the bond is with a razor blade between the 2 surfaces.

The holding power per square inch is higher that most other fasteners. Check it out:

https://www.rathbun.com/pdfs/3M-pdf/3M%20VHB%20Durability.pdf

Wavery said:
You might be surprised at the strength of some double sided tape. I use 3M VHB (very high bond) double sided tape to attach the solar panel brackets to the fiberglass roof of my RV.
https://www.rathbun.com/pdfs/3M-pdf/3M%20VHB%20Durability.pdf
  3M double sided tape is good stuff. Unfortunately, that is not what Winnebago used outside to secure body panels and inside to secure woodwork in some places. What they used WILL turn loose sooner or later. Interesting that I had to replace some on interior wood trim several years ago while the outside stuff lasted longer.

Back
Top Bottom