Is this really possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biggersm

The image below was seen recently in Hendersonville (near Asheville) North Carolina.  This part of NC also has some hills too.  Maybe it was a ploy to get people to visit the web page seen on the side of the van (it worked for me too, apparently the Hinkle family are country music singers).  All I have to say is I'm impressed at the towing power of those old Ford vans!

That set-up could be illegal,  as well as unsafe.

I think according to DOT and most states vehicle laws , with a possible farm vehicle exception,  "Double towing" requires the first towed vehicle to be a 5th wheel .

Photobucket requiers a log in so I have not an idea of what it was.

Please folks.  When posting a photo, use a site that can be accessed without log in.. Dropbox used to offere that but I'm not shure how it works today. 

I'd say it is possible, but that isn't the same as smart.

The car is essentially balanced over the car hauler axle, so really isn't contributing much to the RV trailer except for an additional pulling load. Hopefully the car hauler has brakes! Asking that van to pull the entire rig up the steep grades on I26 heading toward Asheville is a bit much, though.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
I'd say it is possible, but that isn't the same as smart.

The car is essentially balanced over the car hauler axle, so really isn't contributing much to the RV trailer except for an additional pulling load. Hopefully the car hauler has brakes! Asking that van to pull the entire rig up the steep grades on I26 heading toward Asheville is a bit much, though.
most of those bigger Ford vans had the V10 ,

is it just me or does that trailer frame look like it's bowing ?

John From Detroit said:
Photobucket requiers a log in so I have not an idea of what it was.

Please folks.  When posting a photo, use a site that can be accessed without log in.. Dropbox used to offere that but I'm not shure how it works today.

John.... No password or other log-in was needed for me. I did hit an ad to sign up for better benefits, but it can be ignored.

Alfa38User said:
John.... No password or other log-in was needed for me.

me either....and you can also look at his whole photo album...without a password. :-[

that 2 axle toy-hauler he tows with a little Toyota wagon has is kinda cool.

TonyDtorch said:
me either....and you can also look at his whole photo album...without a password. :-[

that 2 axle toy-hauler he tows with a little Toyota wagon has is kinda cool.

Thank you Tony; hope you enjoyed the pictures.  Kind of wish the Livin Lite 6 x 15 was still in production.  The stats changed from the 2015 to the 2016 model year and we have the even lighter edition however that is because it only has a pair of 2,200 pound capacity Dexter Axles which the newer 6 x 15 has 3,500 pound axles.

Some folks think we are hauling too much but we  are under on every capacity.  Still we have to defeat the overdrive on the Highlander which means 3,000 RPM rather than about 2,200 RPM on the freeway if we decide to do 70 (but I really try to remember to do 65).  Everything seems a little busy but the Highlander, even with a Goldwing in the back still does well.  We have left the state on five occasions so far and each time with the Goldwing in the Toyhauler.  I will admit that on the most recent occasion we did have the transmission temp light come on for about 2 minutes as we was climbing the same hill Gary mentioned but I was being an idiot at the time and was averaging 5,000 RPM on a long uphill stretch while passing the trucks.  As soon as I realized what the light was for we was at the top of the hill, about 7-8 degrees cooler, and we went back to 3,000 RPM.  We will keep the current set up for a while however we will upgrade to a full size SUV later on.

For those who like numbers:

5,000 pound towing capacity for the Highlander with a 500 pound tongue weight.

2,970 weight on the Toyhaler (advertised as 2,700 however the dealer did a separate weigh in and came up with 2,970).

Approximate gear weight (including Goldwing and all camping gear, however we always tow three tanks dry) = 4,200 pounds.

Tongue weight approx 450-500 pounds.

The only other thing I have to say is that the Blue Ox weight distribution system and sway bars really help and it handles well on the freeway (only a slight push from trucks but not a white knuckle ride).

NY_Dutch said:
I can't find anywhere that says recreational triple towing is allowed in NC.
If commercial triple towing is allowed in N.C.,  the driver of the van may have a CDL-A with a T endorsement.

TonyDtorch said:
That set-up could be illegal,  as well as unsafe.

I think according to DOT and most states vehicle laws , with a possible farm vehicle exception,  "Triple towing" requires the first towed vehicle to be a 5th wheel .

Back
Top Bottom