Andersen Experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ip076

Hi All, quick question for the Andersen experts in the group.

I'll be installing the hitch on the truck/rv combo in my signature. The truck is the 6.5' standard box. 

In my pea sized physics-challenged brain it seems to me that I should mount the kingpin adapter with the ball receiver forward of the pin on the RV.  Is that a correct assumption?  I read through the docs that came with the Andersen and didn't immediately say anything.  I found one youtube video that seems to confirm my assumption.  Was hoping to get some feedback from the group.

I guess I should add I'm thinking this due to clearance with the cab while turning, I guess there could be an issue with the pin box clearing the tailgate. 

I was interested in getting a Andersen hitch and I contacted a dealer. I had a few questions and he said if I had any technical questions that I should  to talk to their tech guys for more clarification. You can reach them at 1.800.635.6106 and just ask for customer service, they can answer all tech questions

I'm not an expert but perhaps this pic will help, though I do have a long bed.
The Andersen ball hitch was at it's lowest height setting, which I soon put at the highest due to the weight of the RV.

If you switch the ball receiver forward of the pin you should clear the tailgate easily imo.

On a side note with the right torque wrench you can install/remove the hitch in < 5 minutes.

Attachments

• andersen-hitch.jpg
    andersen-hitch.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 27
johnh10 said:
I'm not an expert but perhaps this pic will help, though I do have a long bed.
The Andersen ball hitch was at it's lowest height setting, which I soon put at the highest due to the weight of the RV.

If you switch the ball receiver forward of the pin you should clear the tailgate easily imo.

On a side note with the right torque wrench you can install/remove the hitch in < 5 minutes.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'm not sure my original assumption was correct.  I always thought the short bed issue was a turning radius and cab hitting rv cap issue, is that not generally the case?  Or is it more of an issue with clearing the tailgate and bed rails?

I have a short bed P/U. 6-1/2' bed. I currently have a standard Reese hitch on bed rails.  When they installed the hitch, the rails were installed so that the kingpin would be right over the axle. Typically they're installed that way or 1" in front of the axle on a long bed truck transferring some of the weight to the front axle.  The Andersen hitch is manufactured with a built in offset of the ball. In my case, that means is that the ball on the hitch will be either 4-5/16" in front of the axle or 4-5/16" behind the axle. Putting the ball towards the front of the bed, will cut down on my cab to trailer clearance. If I put it to the rear, it will remove some of the weight off the front axle making the steering light and my headlights may shine up in the air.
What I would need is them to manufacture a hitch with the ball exactly centered in the frame.  I need to call them some day.

I am not an expert either, but somewhere I read it can be installed either way.  Forward means more cab clearance.  Rearward means more weight on the real axle.  Rene's comments are very important to understand.  This may mean adjusting exact location of your rails, which will determine the location of the ball.

If you can experiment, put the ball receiver forward and CAREFULLY, WITH A SPOTTER, back into an angle and check clearance.  If you get to what you consider a sharp enough angle, leave it there.  Otherwise, turn it around.  This angle is most important when backing into a camping space.

ip076 said:
Thanks for the info, I guess I'm not sure my original assumption was correct.  I always thought the short bed issue was a turning radius and cab hitting rv cap issue, is that not generally the case?  Or is it more of an issue with clearing the tailgate and bed rails?

I only mentioned the tailgate because of your comment "I guess there could be an issue with the pin box clearing the tailgate".

Having a smaller turning radius is probable, but you should be able to make 'normal' turns, just probably not 90 degree+ turns.

Ball socket forward will give you the highest turning radius. I have an 8' box but initially mounted mine that way. I turned it around though since my pin box sits low - no issues with the tailgate but it came a little too close to the bed rails in tight turns for my comfort. The down side to that is very little room between the truck and 5er (i.e. can't get my big ass between them too easily!). And I can't drop the gate while hooked up.

grashley said:
I am not an expert either, but somewhere I read it can be installed either way.  Forward means more cab clearance.  Rearward means more weight on the real axle.  Rene's comments are very important to understand.  This may mean adjusting exact location of your rails, which will determine the location of the ball.

If you can experiment, put the ball receiver forward and CAREFULLY, WITH A SPOTTER, back into an angle and check clearance.  If you get to what you consider a sharp enough angle, leave it there.  Otherwise, turn it around.  This angle is most important when backing into a camping space.

Mine is actually the gooseneck version, so no rails.  Thanks for the info and ideas. I'll grab a buddy to spot and we'll try it out each way. I'll be installing the pin adapter at the dealership when I pick up the RV, it's a pretty easy drive from there to home so shouldn't need the minimum turning radius possible at that point. In fact, I'll probably go straight from the dealer to a big parking lot to test it out.

ip076, I have the gooseneck mount as well. I don't think you will find any difference in pin weight regardless of how you mount the adapter. I actually performed a related test last summer that you can read here: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,95621.msg862305.html#msg862305

Joezeppy said:
ip076, I have the gooseneck mount as well. I don't think you will find any difference in pin weight regardless of how you mount the adapter. I actually performed a related test last summer that you can read here: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,95621.msg862305.html#msg862305

Thanks Joe, I had stumbled across your thread earlier.  I think you're right, even with the offset the force is translated through the center section and then (at least somewhat) distributed through the rest of the hitch. 

Nice work on the test too.  Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom