Boone NC down to Asheville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patnsuzanne

Greetings!  We will be spending a few days in Boone next month, then pulling our 30' TT on down to Asheville.  I'm planning to take 321 out of Boone, through Blowing Rock down to Lenoir and 61 from there on down to I40. I've taken that route before, but we were in the Mustang GT and not overly concerned as to how a truck and trailer would do on the same route.  I don't remember anything too terrible, but we're hoping one of the well traveled folks here on the forum can give us a clue about what to expect or updates on current road conditions.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can send our way.

I've never done that route with a camper, but there are trucks all over that road, so as long as you have good breaks and a good engine, I can't foresee any issues. I would do it with my 27' camper without a second thought. Now...if you turn off of Hwy 321 on to one of those little roads, that could be a little disconcerting ;-)

~ Samantha

Thanks Samantha. About the only thing I really remember about our last trip along that route was construction and fog at Blowing Rock. That was a couple of years ago so I'm hoping the construction, at least, is completed.

You should be fine. A lot of that area is 4 lane now and a beautiful drive. You could always take 11 to Elizabethton. You would pass Watauga Lake this way. Beautiful mountain lake. Head on to Johnson City and hit I26 to Asheville. Again a beautiful drive and you would get to see my home, Johnson City. Granted that part of I26 does have a steep incline and some sharp curves around Wolfe Laurel. Nice visitors center and scenic overlooks though. Either way you will enjoy the drive and scenery. Enjoy!

Thanks ISO_AAA,
We took that route from Johnson City to Asheville a couple of years ago in late October after visiting family in my old hometown of Kingsport!  And your right, it's a very pretty drive.

Update:  we ended up taking 321 north from Gastonia all the way into Boone. Construction just below Blowing Rock slowed things down some and made pulling through BR a little tricky. Took the same route back down and this time were delayed by the same construction. Light rain also made for slow and careful descents down the mountain grades, but the road itself was in good shape. Lenoir to Morganton and on to I40 west was uneventful.
While in Boone, we stayed in the Flintrock campground on 104 west of town. Sights were VERY tight and the steep drive in and out of the park was problematic. We were lucky enough to get a site backing up to the creek, which was very nice. Sites on the other side of the park were right below 104 and I imagine were not as quiet as ours. All in all, it worked out well as it was convenient to our activities in the area and the staff was pleasant and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom