Full-Time 5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Summergirl488

My husband and I can't decide what size fifth wheel would be best for our family. We are going from a good sized house to an RV and will start full-timing within the next few months.

There are 4 of us (2 adults, a 9 year old boy and a 18 month old girl) and everything we are keeping needs to fit in the RV.

2 Different Perspectives:

1. Hubby doesn't want to part with his espresso machine and wants a washer/dryer prep so we can avoid laundry mats. He also wants us to have enough room to work remotely in the RV. He has us looking at 40+ foot Heartland and Keystone Bunkhouse models. They are big and gorgeous!

2. I am the one who always gets stuck planning our travels and I don't want to constantly struggle to find a  RV park or State/ Federal park that can accommodate a giant RV. I'm looking at 30-35 foot fifth wheel bunk house models like the WildCat by Forest River, etc. They are nice, but a little snug and many of them don't have real doors on the master bedroom.

We need unbiased advice from experienced full-timers! What will we wish we would have bought 6-12 month from now?  ?Thanks!!

Wildcats are kind of low level IMHO.
Instead look at models like Cedar Creek, Cardinal, and Montana.  They used to have a bath and a half with rear bunks that could work.

If it feels snug now,it will feel overcrowded once you are living in it.  Lots of people start out too small.  Slide outs can make a world of difference.

Do you need to carry summer and winter clothes?  How many other appliances do you want for the kitchen?  Toaster,mixer,blender?  How many days of food will you need to store? 

Just some things to consider.

Your hubby is on the right track, but he still may not have room for his espresso machine.  ;)  Even a huge 5W is no more than 400 sq ft and galley space, bathroom, etc. is going to be limited in the largest of them!  Kids need space too, and on rainy days or longer winter nights it will seem like you have none. Cabin fever time!

I think you need to be looking at 35-40 ft models. Yes, you will have some campsite limitations, but you aren't going to be camping in secluded lakeside spots (no matter what those lovely RVIA ads show). There are plenty of campgrounds with large enough sites and adequate campground guide info to locate them.  We drove a 40 ft coach for 12 years and never had to struggle to find a place, even in New England where campgrounds are often older and smaller. Some were a bit snug, but always adequate.

Remember that you will need a very substantial truck to tow a 35-40 ft. 5th wheel trailer. Don't forget to take that into consideration in your planning. Think F350-450 3500/4500 series vehicles.

I found this out the hard way. They are too expensive for me so I've changed my plans to just live in it and find another for travel. The older class As are cheaper than these trucks and I can tow my Sonata behind one. I say cheaper because I don't need anything real fancy and up to date just to go south in the winter.

Hopefully your in better financial shape than me.

I live full time in a permanently parked 33 foot fifth wheel with three slides. Not in my wildest dreams could I picture three more people living here. That would mean one more bedroom which would make my living room and kitchen tiny. A 38 foot class A with a few slides would be the minimum I would consider if I was you.

Im not recommending it since its a bit extreme, but Ive seen a family of 5 live in an airstream. hes a youtuber actually. Definitely will need a specific layout to make it doable without stepping on each other

OutdoorFT said:
Im not recommending it since its a bit extreme, but Ive seen a family of 5 live in an airstream. hes a youtuber actually. Definitely will need a specific layout to make it doable without stepping on each other

An airstream sounds fun and all, but I think I'd rather stay happily married! ?

Summergirl488 said:
Thank you!! We will look for a fifth wheel in the 35-40 foot range. ?

And.... a very big truck, think F350-450, 4500 variety if you plan on moving it around.

With four people the bigger the better (within reason) and real doors are a good thing! We lived full time in a Big Horn 3670 RL it has 4 slides, not the largest of 5th Wheels but on the larger size. What we found is that it was good to have our own separate areas, each with it own television and own tuner. I could watch my car or outdoor programs while my dear wife (DW) could watch Home and Garden (or gasp) a love story on The Halmark Channel. Having these individual areas made the 5th wheel feel almost as large as our 2700 sq ft home. Your children's bunk areas can be made into their own spaces also.  I commend you and your family for making your wishes come true.

Back
Top Bottom