EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Man, I can really hate concrete highways  (Read 2319 times)

merlinmurph

• ---
Man, I can really hate concrete highways
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:12:46 PM »
Just today, we were traveling north on I-81 just south of Wilkes-Barre and hit a stretch of highway that was brutal on our TT. The oscillations were so bad, I was expecting the hitch to break. Concrete s*cks.

Last fall, we hit a similar stretch out west, maybe in SD. It was brutal.

I had to vent. Thanks.
Dan Murphy
2014 Keystone Laredo 294RK
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat
Hopkinton, MA

ChasA

• ---
Re: Man, I can really hate concrete highways
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 08:21:36 PM »
I hate concrete roads too. I95 in SC is a killer.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 08:21:58 PM »
As much as surrounding traffic conditions permit, I run in the left lane through that section of I-81. Same on I-95 in SC. It's much smoother...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 08:32:02 PM »
Head west on I-80 from there if you really want a rough ride.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

alan6051964

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:44:18 PM »
take a trip through Oklahoma City on I-40, and I bet you will be loving that last trip down that area you just hated !. some years back when I pulled a trailer through there ?..OMG..i was thankful I did not have dentures ?..otherwise..they would have fell out !. had to be one of the worst high ways I've ever been through/on !.
1992 22ft Fleetwood wilderness TT

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »
As much as surrounding traffic conditions permit, I run in the left lane through that section of I-81. Same on I-95 in SC. It's much smoother...

X2
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

alan6051964

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 08:49:48 PM »
X2
I would also agree, as we all know, 18-wheelers run most of their trips in the right lane, brutal !!..lol.

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 09:22:37 PM »
I would also agree, as we all know, 18-wheelers run most of their trips in the right lane, brutal !!..lol.

Most of the traffic is in the right lane. By law in most states, the right lane is for travel and the left lane is for passing only so the right lane is getting beat up.  It's the law in 44 states.
I know someone will question what I just said so here it is:

http://jalopnik.com/5501615/left-lane-passing-laws-a-state-by-state-map
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:42:00 PM by Rene T »
AKA  Pep N Mem

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 10:06:03 PM »
Years (and I do mean years) ago, my father and his brother drove Dad's 47 Willys Jeep from Springfield, Mo. to Houston, Tx.  They took Route 66 to Big Cabin, Ok then Hwy 69 down to Atoka where they caught Hwy 75 on down to Houston.  The Jeep's cruising speed was only about 40 mph.  With the short wheelbase of the Jeep and traveling at 40 mph, the concrete section joints seem to set up a harmonic bounce, all the way to Houston.  They had gone down there looking for work.  The trip was so hard on them it took several days before they could manage to start looking for a job.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

alan6051964

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »
Most of the traffic is in the right lane. By law in most states, the right lane is for travel and the left lane is for passing only so the right lane is getting beat up.  It's the law in 44 states.
I know someone will question what I just said so here it is:

http://jalopnik.com/5501615/left-lane-passing-laws-a-state-by-state-map
yes, you are correct :-). right lane is for travel, left lane for passing, no argument there :-).

xrated

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 02:18:14 AM »
Has anyone had the pleasure of travelling on I-59 from just North of Fort Payne, AL, down to Gadsen, AL?  They have fixed the road (mostly), but when I first started travelling it back in 2007, I have to say it was one of the worst Interstate highways that I'd ever been on.  The 60 mile or so stretch was under construction at that time, and for how long before I started using it.....is unknown to me.  Findally, about a year and a half ago, they have pretty much got it done.  It wasn't unusual to drive the 60 miles (all under the "Road Construction Zone" sign, and see a total of maybe 5 or 6 guys working in that entire distance.  Almost everyone used the left lane and it was just assumed that is where you drove.  If you needed to pass someone, you got over in the right lane, did your pass, put your teeth back in, then merged left again.  Wow!
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 04:58:55 AM »
There is nothing wrong with a properly built and maintained concrete road surface.  PROPERLY MAINTAINED.

IT is long lasting, and over all lower in cost than asphalt lasting easily 2-3 times as long.

BUT: First it has to be properly built. Here in the US they tend to go "Cheap" which means the road does not last as long as if they made it a bit ..Er.. Thicker.

And of course we do not properly maintain them, Patch, Patch, Patch, instead of re-do.. WHY. Well... That... Is politics.. a compound word.. made iup of POLY (meaning many) and TICS, which as you know are blood sucking parasites....
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

accordionman

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 06:58:29 AM »
I know we're digressing a bit here, but Rene brought up the law about left lane passing and right lane travel lane. That is spot on.  Also,  that has been a pet peeve of mine for about as long as I can remember. Just goes up my kazoo when someone is riding the left lane doing 50 ! I noticed that it doesn't happen much down here in the Southeast(since we moved here 4 years ago) like it did in the Northeast. Up there, there appeared to be more people who thought they were entitled and owned the road to drive in whatever lane they wanted and however they wanted. Driving ethics in general (like the rest of society), I believe has gone the way of the albatross.  So too bad for us who try to do right by the guy next to us by staying in the right lane or using our directionals.

Sorry for the rant.
2016 F 250 - 6.7 Diesel
2015 Airstream Classic 30
Great wife and myself
Retired Professional Accordionist ( and other assorted vocations)
Saint Augustine, Florida

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 07:02:05 AM »
I knew our infrastructure was bad, but didn't realize how bad until I started full-timing in a coach.
If the people that appropriate money for building and maintaining their city or state roads had to ride those roads in a motorhome, they would understand how in need of repair they are. Driving those roads in a car with good suspension you will not hear or feel how bad they are like driving over them in a motorhome.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »
I have seen both good and bad concrete highways but even on the best roads the engineers seems to have flunked the course on how to transition onto and off of bridges - short bridges over little streams or just creeks.  I have had more severe shocks on many of those transitions than the roughest concrete road.  When you hit one that should alert you that more will be coming on that particular stretch of road.  JMHO

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 6 months

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 09:41:57 AM »
Merlin spoke of oscillations, which is largely a factor of the expansion gaps between slabs vs the length of the rig. If that's his complaint, maintenance has little to do with it. The size of the concrete slabs is largely dictated by the climate and terrain, i.e. how much the ground moves. In flat, stable regions they can use long slabs with small gaps, but where the temperature swings from freeze to thaw and/or the ground shifts for various reasons, the slabs are made shorter with bigger gaps to accommodate it. That's why those big "expansion plugs" are put between slabs. They set up a rhythmic set of bumps and if the length of your rig is just right (wrong?), a harmonic oscillation can begin that is really annoying. It will be exacerbated if the trailer tongue/pin weight is light because the trailer jerks the tow vehicle more.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »
In 1982, a couple of us volunteered to take a road trip to return our new Mack all wheel drive fire engine to the manufacturer in Elmira, NY for some hydraulic repairs​. Think cement mixer chassis and you'll get an idea of how this beast handles.

All the way up Route 17, the expansion joint spacing was just right to bounce us nearly out of the seats. That truck is still in service, and to this day, I hate driving it!
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »
I have seen both good and bad concrete highways but even on the best roads the engineers seems to have flunked the course on how to transition onto and off of bridges - short bridges over little streams or just creeks.  I have had more severe shocks on many of those transitions than the roughest concrete road.  When you hit one that should alert you that more will be coming on that particular stretch of road.  JMHO

Bill

I just completed a 17 state tour and found the same road/bridge transition problems most anywhere.  It's like the bridge and highway folks work with different blueprints.  Our highway problems are becoming critical and in my opinion are reaching the point of no return.

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 11:48:57 AM »
Our highway problems are becoming critical and in my opinion are reaching the point of no return.

We haven't spent nearly enough $ on highway infrastructure for the last 20 years. Bridges are becoming unsafe, and roads are rough and need repaving.

As one of the poster said above, I-40 near Oklahoma City is so bad, I though I had a tire failure on my truck and pulled over to the side. Tires were fine, it was just the road.
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
I noticed that it doesn't happen much down here in the Southeast(since we moved here 4 years ago) like it did in the Northeast.

That's by biggest pet peeve when we go to FL for the winter. In the Lakeland area, they have the most disrespectful drivers that I've ever seen.  I would say that 2 out of 10 drivers drive in the left lane all the time and most are below the speed limit. At least they're not speeding.  :o >:(
AKA  Pep N Mem

KandT

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »
yes, you are correct :-). right lane is for travel, left lane for passing, no argument there :-).

What about when you are passing going maybe 5-7 over the speed limit and someone decides that's not fast enough so they ride up your - you know what! (:(.    Give me a chance and I will get over!
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 01:00:25 PM »
A couple of years back I was talking to a NY State Trooper at a rest area on I-88. When I ranted a little about the condition of some particularly rough sections and how much they affected my motorhome, he told me that as long as I wasn't holding up traffic, go ahead and run in the left lane where it's smoother. He said none of their guys would bother me about it because they're out there every day and know full well how bad it is. He said to just keep an eye behind me, and move over as needed. And yes, NY does have a "left lane for passing" law...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

alan6051964

• ---
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 01:17:43 PM »
What about when you are passing going maybe 5-7 over the speed limit and someone decides that's not fast enough so they ride up your - you know what! (:(.    Give me a chance and I will get over!
lol. or how about, when your in the passing lane, the person  in front of you won't move over ?, so you zip around them in the slow lane, get back over in the fast lane, you look in your mirrors, then they move over to the slow lane !..lol.

Bobtop46

• ---
    • Work Camper
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 01:35:26 PM »
I-10 in Louisiana.  Lost 2 teeth, a kidney, a windshield, an awning, and part of a tailpipe.
2007 Coachman Aurora 36FWS
2006 Mini Cooper S

alan6051964

• ---
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 01:40:49 PM »
I-10 in Louisiana.  Lost 2 teeth, a kidney, a windshield, an awning, and part of a tailpipe.
lol, someone told you, you were over your weight limit or what ?..lol.

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »
lol. or how about, when your in the passing lane, the person  in front of you won't move over ?, so you zip around them in the slow lane, get back over in the fast lane, you look in your mirrors, then they move over to the slow lane !..lol.

Once I pass them I usually just slow down to at least 10 miles below the speed limit and that gets their attention. Most times they'll get the point and pull over. I only do it when they're the only car.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »
A couple of years back I was talking to a NY State Trooper at a rest area on I-88. When I ranted a little about the condition of some particularly rough sections and how much they affected my motorhome, he told me that as long as I wasn't holding up traffic, go ahead and run in the left lane where it's smoother. He said none of their guys would bother me about it because they're out there every day and know full well how bad it is. He said to just keep an eye behind me, and move over as needed. And yes, NY does have a "left lane for passing" law...

When I was a Driver License Examiner in North Dakota we were pretty much in tight with the Highway Patrol and they shared the same feelings Rene.  If you are not bothering anybody, use the left lane for a smoother ride and pull over when someone is approaching for a pass.  Semi-trucks pound the right lanes right down to near dust and are mainly responsible for their roughness.  At the time it was legal in ND to drive in the left lane but generally accepted that the right lane should be used for everything but passing.  I think that law is now changed to make the left lane for passing only.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 6 months

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »
At the time it was legal in ND to drive in the left lane but generally accepted that the right lane should be used for everything but passing.  I think that law is now changed to make the left lane for passing only.

Bill

ND is one of the states where it's illegal to travel in the left lane except to pass.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Baddog

• ---
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »
A few years back Arkansas had signs up that told slow traffic to use the left lane.  I think they realized the right lanes were falling apart way before the left and was trying to get trucks to run in the left lane.  Not sure if that is still the case.

Personally, I will drive in the left lane unless someone fast is coming up behind me.  I have never seen anyone pulled over for driving in the left lane even if they are holding up traffic.  I can always say I was safely pulling over to pass that car that was a mile in front of me.   ???
Ricky
2011 Ford F-150 (Soon to be upgraded)
Newbie: Looking at 5th Wheels

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 04:08:39 PM »

Yes. I have traveled on rough roads over the years, including Malfunction Junction in Knoxville on I-40 where I lost a leaf spring on a 25' Prowler TT, but I have never seen anything like I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. A solid 30 miles of highway so bad, the cars drive 40 and I had to drive 25-30 with my toad, and still bottomed out the generator on its springs and severed the conduit running from it to the transfer switch. Whatever it takes, I'll avoid that stretch of highway again at all costs.
John

2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J

Hosted by Over The Network