Man, I can really hate concrete highways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alan6051964 said:
yes, you are correct :). right lane is for travel, left lane for passing, no argument there :).

What about when you are passing going maybe 5-7 over the speed limit and someone decides that's not fast enough so they ride up your - you know what! :)(.    Give me a chance and I will get over!

A couple of years back I was talking to a NY State Trooper at a rest area on I-88. When I ranted a little about the condition of some particularly rough sections and how much they affected my motorhome, he told me that as long as I wasn't holding up traffic, go ahead and run in the left lane where it's smoother. He said none of their guys would bother me about it because they're out there every day and know full well how bad it is. He said to just keep an eye behind me, and move over as needed. And yes, NY does have a "left lane for passing" law...

KandT said:
What about when you are passing going maybe 5-7 over the speed limit and someone decides that's not fast enough so they ride up your - you know what! :)(.    Give me a chance and I will get over!
lol. or how about, when your in the passing lane, the person  in front of you won't move over ?, so you zip around them in the slow lane, get back over in the fast lane, you look in your mirrors, then they move over to the slow lane !..lol.

Bobtop46 said:
I-10 in Louisiana.  Lost 2 teeth, a kidney, a windshield, an awning, and part of a tailpipe.
lol, someone told you, you were over your weight limit or what ?..lol.

alan6051964 said:
lol. or how about, when your in the passing lane, the person  in front of you won't move over ?, so you zip around them in the slow lane, get back over in the fast lane, you look in your mirrors, then they move over to the slow lane !..lol.

Once I pass them I usually just slow down to at least 10 miles below the speed limit and that gets their attention. Most times they'll get the point and pull over. I only do it when they're the only car.

NY_Dutch said:
A couple of years back I was talking to a NY State Trooper at a rest area on I-88. When I ranted a little about the condition of some particularly rough sections and how much they affected my motorhome, he told me that as long as I wasn't holding up traffic, go ahead and run in the left lane where it's smoother. He said none of their guys would bother me about it because they're out there every day and know full well how bad it is. He said to just keep an eye behind me, and move over as needed. And yes, NY does have a "left lane for passing" law...

When I was a Driver License Examiner in North Dakota we were pretty much in tight with the Highway Patrol and they shared the same feelings Rene.  If you are not bothering anybody, use the left lane for a smoother ride and pull over when someone is approaching for a pass.  Semi-trucks pound the right lanes right down to near dust and are mainly responsible for their roughness.  At the time it was legal in ND to drive in the left lane but generally accepted that the right lane should be used for everything but passing.  I think that law is now changed to make the left lane for passing only.

Bill

Bill N said:
At the time it was legal in ND to drive in the left lane but generally accepted that the right lane should be used for everything but passing.  I think that law is now changed to make the left lane for passing only.

Bill

ND is one of the states where it's illegal to travel in the left lane except to pass.

A few years back Arkansas had signs up that told slow traffic to use the left lane.  I think they realized the right lanes were falling apart way before the left and was trying to get trucks to run in the left lane.  Not sure if that is still the case.

Personally, I will drive in the left lane unless someone fast is coming up behind me.  I have never seen anyone pulled over for driving in the left lane even if they are holding up traffic.  I can always say I was safely pulling over to pass that car that was a mile in front of me.  ???

Bobtop46 said:
I-10 in Louisiana.  Lost 2 teeth, a kidney, a windshield, an awning, and part of a tailpipe.

Yes. I have traveled on rough roads over the years, including Malfunction Junction in Knoxville on I-40 where I lost a leaf spring on a 25' Prowler TT, but I have never seen anything like I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. A solid 30 miles of highway so bad, the cars drive 40 and I had to drive 25-30 with my toad, and still bottomed out the generator on its springs and severed the conduit running from it to the transfer switch. Whatever it takes, I'll avoid that stretch of highway again at all costs.

Bobtop46 said:

I second that emotion, that's the worst stretch of highway I've ever been on!

Bobtop46 said:

I can't speak to I-10 from Baton Rouge to Slidell as I use I-12 to bypass New Orleans, but it's getting better. Much of it has been repaved since I started traveling that route regularly 5 years ago. However, what hasn't been fixed remains truly miserable.
The really bad stretches (as of April) are between Lafayette and Atchafalaya, and also through/around Lake Charles (even the bypass is bad).
Let's include the first few miles of I-10 and I-12 east of the Mississippi.
The bridge transitions just about anywhere are suspension killers.

The Lafayette - Atchafalaya stretch has broken a shock absorber mount and loosened just about every screw in the trailer.

Anywhere in a circumference of about 45 miles around Houston sucks.  Concrete everywhere.  Even the new construction is horrible.  When I head west to San Antonio, it's an hour drive around Houston, all concrete until I get outside that circumference.  That's why I tend to go camping north.  I only have a few miles of concrete until I'm out in the country.  But I'm sure that won't last long.  Pretty soon it seems like it's going to be "The Greater DalFtWorthHoustAntonio Quadraplex"!  One giant city with a few trees in-between.

All kidding aside I just got the slide awning replaced at Tough top awnings near Vancouver Wa.  310 inch x 32 inch, 15oz material installed in under an hour (with appointment) for $350.

http://www.toughtopawnings.com/

I drove an empty fuel truck on I-84 from Pocatello to Boise in the left lane, I was warned I might get a ticket but I didn't care. I couldn't take the pounding.

Bobtop46 said:
All kidding aside I just got the slide awning replaced at Tough top awnings near Vancouver Wa.  310 inch x 32 inch, 15oz material installed in under an hour (with appointment) for $350.

http://www.toughtopawnings.com/

I can't see the connection between that and concrete highways>  :eek: ::) :( ;)

I was in Myrtle Beach in April and was reading on something local that the state of South Carolina is planning to spend some major money fixing up the highways

According to the article, there are too many folks getting judgements against the state for damage done to their vehicles due to condition of roads. 

Spoke with a gent from NC, he said the state was talking about increasing fuel taxes to help pay for the work.

Rene T said:
I can't see the connection between that and concrete highways>  :eek: ::) :( ;)
Bobtop46 indicated the concrete hwy (I-10) tore up his awning (amount other things).

Bobtop46 said:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom