Looking for product to restore shine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dfarland

Hi, I am looking for a product to restore the dull, chalky, sun caused finish on our fiberglass walls on our 5th wheel.  I have tried waxes and such but nothing seems to work.  Any magic beans out there?

dfarland said:
Hi, I am looking for a product to restore the dull, chalky, sun caused finish on our fiberglass walls on our 5th wheel.  I have tried waxes and such but nothing seems to work.  Any magic beans out there?

What you're actually seeing is oxidation. That has to be removed by buffing then you can wax.

How about these guys that are wiping on multiple coats of Zep floor polish? What's the verdict from you pro's???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGmGeofrGvo

Bob

Rene T said:
What you're actually seeing is oxidation. That has to be removed by buffing then you can wax.

We have the same problem with our new to us 5th wheel.  We also have black streaks on one side.  Any specific recommendation on equipment and products would be  appreciated!  TIA

There are several brands of marine fiberglass color restorer that will fix your problem, 3M and Starbrite are two that I have used.

Black streak remover is sold at General RV and other places. I have heard of the dull finish problem on this site and guys using the Zep floor product, multiple coats. Search the site here and you will find the thread.

A dull, oxidized finish is a different problem than black streaks, so lets not mix  the answers together.

Oxidation of the surface (fiberglass or painted) has to be removed. 50 coats of wax won't help unless and until you remove the layer of dull glaze. If you look at the procedure that involves Zep floor wax (a high gloss synthetic), you will see that it starts with a lot of elbow grease and an abrasive cleaner like Barkeeper's Friend to remove the oxidation. Commercial oxidation removers such as the 3M and Starbrite products are an alternative to a cleanser.

Black streaks are just a nasty dirt that has run-off the roof and is usually associated with the chalky run-off from EPDM rubber roofs. However, any type of roof can have a dirty run-off from the crud that sometimes accumulates up there.  Industrial "smokestack" wastes in the air is one common background cause, but tree bark is another.  Basically it has to be scrubbed or polished off but the best choice of product varies with the type of compound that forms the streak. Sometimes the "black streak removers" sold (at high prices) in RV stores work fine, and on others they may not work at all. Automotive and marine polishes may work, as may silver polish or rubbing compound.  It generally take something with some grit (a polish) rather than just detergent and water, but sometimes a chemical product like CLR will cut through it. Experiment to see what type of polish works best on your particular streaks.

Black streaks can be minimized by keeping your roof cleaner, especially EPDM roofs. The chalky residue that forms on EPDM seems to be an ideal carrier/paste for dirt. Even just rinsing it regularly helps flush away the residue rather than letting it trickle down the sides with the morning dew and then dry there (leaving the dirt behind).

In the video, he barely talked about using a stripper. Maybe I missed it.  I wonder if he used it to remove the oxidation before applying the Zep?

I have used Meguier's Scratch-X on black streaks with good success.

Check out this web site, look at their videos, last year I bought their products and was totally satisfied with the results. It took me a week, working about 3 hours a day to do our 30' MH. You do need a good orbital buffer and the proper cutting and buffing pads which you can get from these folks or from Amazon.

https://www.chemicalguys.com

Bob

Bob most of those products seem to be for painted surfaces, not for fiberglass.

Hi Jeff, I know they are more into car detailing but I bought the kit of 4 different grades of their "cutting/polishing" product. I started out with the least  aggressive and quickly moved up to the most aggressive one. Our MH wasn't that bad but the year before I spent $600 at a detail shop and other than a so so shine I wasted my money. I also bought their cutting pads, which worked wonders, with the compound. I finished the job with a coat of Meguiars M4516 Boat/rv Polish And Gloss Enhancer. The MH is stored outside and I've had several people ask if I have inside storage because of the way it looks.

The produce is expensive at $49.99 but it does go along way and if you need more you may be able to buy just the one that works for you but not sure if they sale it that way.

Bob

A "stripper" is a product to remove previous wax-type finishes, e.g. household ammonia. That's not the same as polishing off oxidation, which needs a grit product of some sort. A coarse pad or a compound with a gritty substance in it. Or both of those together.

If your rig is already clean and the surface is not oxidized, you can of course apply Zep or some other floor wax if you like. Zep is a very high gloss product, if that's your bag. But there are high gloss "showroom wax" products available from detailer specialty stores as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom