Black tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another  :)) for everything already said here.
My Camco starter kit hose lasted close to 200 camping days before it started to leak, but the Rhino hose that replaced it is far superior in several ways.
I store it in a length of 5" PVC fence post strapped to my bumper with cable ties.

We use the campground facilities unless it's an emergency. We normally stay at state parks and their facilities are pretty good. Disney World had great bathrooms. If we're on the road in between campgrounds and boondocking we'll use our TT bathroom. We don't flush tp in the trailer either. Garbage it. It's all personal preference. You do what you want and you'll be happy.

I've got a Rhino and a Valterra Dominator. I like the Valterra better. It's on it's fourth year now, and has been used for months on end when we were camphosting. We use Cottonelle Ultra Strong. We flush it and have had no problems.

We like the Rhino Flex.  Its as easy to compress and put away in cold weather as warm weather.  Easy to store in a rubber maid plastic container with a lid.  We've used the same one for several years now without a problem.

TimFRoo said:
Ok... I'm sewer hose shopping and overwhelmed. What should I look for? Also, will most fit into my 4" bumper?

Fellow newbie here...our Wildwood came with a Camco Revolution hose set from the previous owner.  Thought I was going to pursue a different one with a cooler name like Viper, Dominator...whatever.  But after using it, I'm pretty darn happy with it.  Comes with the 90 degree fittings you want, but they detach so the hose can still go in the bumper...and the two sections compress down to about a 2.5 foot length, and they have end caps to keep any dribbles contained (as well as keep the hose compressed to the shorter length).  Paired with a Valterra Flush King on the outside, and a swizzle for deep cleaning time (which fits in the bumper with the two hose sections)...I'm all set.  If there was one part of rving that I have done more research on than any other...it's sewer :)

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
For some reason, poop attracts a lot more attention than most other RV components concerns. Must be a Freudian thing...  8)

It's a crappy subject.

Rember that your holding tanks are just that! They are temporary storage tanks, they are NOT sewage treatment facilities. When ever possible I drive to my next o'nite stop before dumping, that way everything is mixed up before dumping.

My family and I get full use out of our TT's bathroom. The only reason I use the campground facilities is if our site does not have sewer hookup and we are trying to conserve water. A lot of the state parks we have been to have had very nice and clean facilities. I would like to get myself a tote.
Also, when we first began camping I would use additives in the black tank, but now I have come to realize (and learned on here) that only adequate water is sufficient in keeping odors away and helps keep my tanks cleaner. The only thing we don't do is put TP in the toilet. We like to use the thicker ply and that doesn't do so well in these tanks. We just bag the TP and drop in the dumpster.

We also use our RV's bathroom almost exclusively. We use the same Charmin Ultra Soft paper we've used for years both in RV's and previously in our house, and have never had a clogging issue. We've been using Camco's "Revolution" hoses since 2008, and have not needed to replace any except one that lost a battle with an overzealous park weed whacker.

The only thing we don't do is put TP in the toilet. We like to use the thicker ply and that doesn't do so well in these tanks.

The Walmart White Cloud brand has a two-ply tissue that is soft.  We always make sure it says Septic Safe - even though this isn't a septic tank situation both need a good dissolving tissue.  For 40+ years we've put toilet paper down our RV toilets and using enough water eliminates any issues.  There's really no need to bag it.

ArdraF

Before our first camping venture in our fifth wheel we also said that we would only use the rv toilet for #1...
Nope, forget that.  :)
Once we were out camping and realized just how strong our toilet flushes and how much we appreciate our own personal indoor bathroom, all original intentions 'went down the toilet.' After having a Pup with no bathroom and walking to the campground bathroom in the middle of the night, we very much appreciate our own personal bathroom and now we absolutely use it as intended. We figured that's what it was made to do.

I did not buy a 38ft diesel pusher with all the comforts of home to be jumping up and walking to the campground restroom in the middle of the night. I also use Charmin ultra strong and never had a problem. I have had verification it brakes down just fine in my holding tank. 8)
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
I did not buy a 38ft diesel pusher with all the comforts of home to be jumping up and walking to the campground restroom in the middle of the night. I also use Charmin ultra strong and never had a problem. I have had verification it brakes down just fine in my holding tank. 8)
Bill
:))

Back
Top Bottom