Ancestry DNA test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judway

I recently had my DNA tested and found a lot of descendants to my ancestors, known as cousins :). I didn't recognize any of you as my relatives :(. I purchased my kit on sale from Ancestry.com and paid $69 plus shipping about $10. The normal price is $99 plus the $10 shipping.

The test kits are available on eBay. I paid $69 shipping paid, for the most expensive one. The lowest I paid was $39.99 shipping paid. The kits were all shipped from the Ancestry site in Utah via UPS 2 day service. The last kit I purchased said it would be shipped from Australia, but it actually came from Utah. I do not understand why the sellers are listed in several countries and shipped from their locations, then the products all come from Utah.

If you are interested in getting your DNA checked out, look at eBay, the bid prices are good.

For anyone interested in the Ancestry analysis, please read the terms and conditions and the privacy notice carefully. The last time I read them, Ancestry takes complete ownership of your sample and they allow access to it without your permission. Analysis of your DNA may actually be used against your children by insurance companies and employers. There was a huge stink over it, and they may have changed their policies, but I chose to get a DNA analysis as a present for my husband from National Geographic. I read the NG and Helix (the company performing the analysis) policies carefully before I bought the kit.

These are just scams. If DNA testing was that inexpensive, law enforcement would use it on everyone.

Try sending you blood to a dog breed analysis "lab", pun intended. ;-) We have a local vet school that charges beaucoup but has a good record in determining breed combinations.

DWJoyce said:
These are just scams. If DNA testing was that inexpensive, law enforcement would use it on everyone.

Try sending you blood to a dog breed analysis "lab", pun intended. ;-) We have a local vet school that charges beaucoup but has a good record in determining breed combinations.
The DNA testing provided by Ancestry.com is not very detailed but more importantly, not certified.  It could never be of any value for the purpose of legal matters.  It's a bit like using a Home Depot digital meter versus an accurate lab calibrated Tektronix multimeter.  They both do much the same thing, but accuracy and the cost difference are astronomical. 

I delayed for quite a while from getting a test because of the terms and other things. I finally ordered the test and have one for my wife. The results are quite interesting.

DWJoyce said:

There issue of law enforcement testing your DNA, is not just cost. or I should say cost of the test. There is a little thing called the Constitution of the United states, and that section of it called the BIll of Rights, specifically the 4th amendment... Which says the right of the people to be secure in their PERSONS, among other things, against unreasonable searches shall not be violated.. I have a copy on the hard drive if you need exact text.

HOWEVER.. once that person is CONVICTED OF A CRIME,, of at least a specific minimum level...  IN many states.... DNA must be given and it is entered into the system.. ALL persons sent to prison and as far as I know anyone sentenced to jail.. A person held in jail pending trial may be exempt.. But if they are SENTENED.. DNA samples are taken.

So.. It really is that cheap. I htink $75.00 bucks is the fee for DNA recording by the state. OR was last I knew someone who had to pay it.

I also had the DNA test done from Ancestry and waiting for the results. I also had one done several years ago  which cost around $130. They stated that it is not certified for use in legal cases and that is because of the conditions under which the sample is taken. To have a trained individual come and take the sample the cost goes up significantly.
  Good news is ...she is my daughter!! I have a framed copy of the results hanging next to me where I am sitting now. Added bonus of two more grandchildren. Now I wonder what the results from Ancestry will show and if there are any differences from the tree I have been worked back to the 1600's.
  According to the work I have done so far I am German, Scotch-Irish, Scotch, English and a wee bit of French. My 5th great grandfather on my mother side is the same person as my 4th great grandfather on my fathers side. (Col John Hannum) Lets see if the DNA shows different.

I might be too skeptical about this, but  what is to stop these people from inventing  a good story?  Send me $130 and I will tell you that you are Swedish royalty.

I received a list of places that my ancestors came from and everything pretty well matched what I expected. 98% came from Europe. However, I had less than 1% from India and less than 1% from the middle east which was a surprise. 

They also showed where in the USA the settlers were located and that matched very well.

I checked the first group of relatives which were second or third cousin and contacted the people. All have responded except one and I can place them into my family tree.

Seems pretty legitimate to me. If you have a match to judway, let me know.

I received my results a couple of weeks ago, the information for my mother's side jives with what she gave me. My father is an enigma.
I was adopted at birth. I found my mother in 1986, we had a reasonably good relationship until she passed but she would not tell me much about my father. She did give me a somewhat uncommon  name but I have never found anything about him. Ancestry linked me to several third or fourth cousins, the common ancestor has the surname she mentioned so at least that appears correct. I now have to determine which of his five sons leads to me. The interesting thing is both parents' ancestors were from New York, Wisconsin, Iowa and Idaho. Of course I had to be a rebel and be born in Canada. ;D
I understand there are concerns about the information being sold to insurance companies, law enforcement and other nefarious entities but I really don't see it as a problem. As was mentioned there is no requirement to take part unless the individual is a felon or has something to hide but if you are not comfortable don't participate.

I received all my ancestry sitting under a linden tree with my great grandfather with an pottery crock of moonshine beer, in my small hometown farm in Nebraska. The stories he told were fascinating and I'll always cherish them.

I see the ads and they say they can tell where (Geographically) you came from.. I'm not so sure they can do that with any degree of accuracy (The degree they claim) as well. even in the time of Christ people walked from one country to another to another to another to another and yes. Traveling salesmen are mentioned in the Bible. (I can find the mention if you like but it is a well known Bible story) so who is to say the traveling salesman did not visit a few ...er.. Farmer's daughters... Even back then.

The areas where the ancestors came from is pretty broad, usually giving several countries. I had 9% from Scandinavia, guess Eric the Red and his men had a good time when they raided Ireland and neighboring countries.

The biggest problem with the results is, only people who have had the test will show up on your list. I suppose that, since there several companies who offer the test and no sharing the total data is limited.

I'm not doing it...

having grown up in the "hippy generation",..... the last thing I need is a bill for 50 years back child support.    ;D

Just run for public office.  Your opponent and the media will dig through your family history in great detail for free.  Guaranteed they will find some very colorful and disreputable ancestors.

Have you seen their TV commercial with a woman who was surprised to discover that she was 26% native American? If she had one native American grandparent, she would be 25%, not 26%.

Is it possible to be 26% anything? If you include enough generations, there might be a way, but I gave up trying to calculate it.

Joel

TonyDtorch said:
I'm not doing it...

having grown up in the "hippy generation",..... the last thing I need is a bill for 50 years back child support.    ;D
That is too funny. You had a good time in those days? Maybe my father should be afraid.

Back
Top Bottom