Problem tow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeG2331

We towed our 2012 Jeep Patriot for the first time this weekend round trip from Orlando to St. Petersburg -- 110 miles each way. When we arrived at St. Pete, we unhitched the jeep and drove it all weekend with no problems, then headed back home.

Got home, unhitched the jeep and parked it. The next day we started it up to drive it and the steering wheel was shaking side-to-side. Turns out three tires were starting to separate -- two front and passenger-side rear -- and the front end was out of alignment. Any suggestions what might have caused it?

We loaded two kayaks on top of the jeep and had gear in the back, but I'm sure we were below the recommended weight limit. The Blue Ox tow bar was locked. I'm certain the key was in the accessory position and the hand brake was off. We use a Stay-IN-Play braking system. This wasn't the first time we've towed the jeep, but it was the first time we've towed it with the kayaks.

Our mechanic said it looks like we hit a giant pothole, but we sure didn't notice anything like that on trip back. Any suggestions about towing-related issues that might have caused this? The tires were on the car when we bought it used  new a couple of months ago and they are just about three years old. The jeep has 45k miles.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Doubt if it had anything to do with tow. Are the tires name brand? Here's my experience. I have a dually 1 ton pickup.
About 4-5 years ago it needed tires. Tire shop had a new Chinese brand at a ridiculously low price. Since pickup isn't used much and seldom heavily loaded, I bought the tires. For 2 years or so and about 9000 miles everything was fine. Tires were smooth and showing no wear, abnormal or otherwise. Then, in a 200 mile trip, with about a 200 lb. load, 3 of the 6 tires developed bulges from slipped belts. Started with the steering wheel shaking. 1 bad tire was on the front. I was going to take a tire off the rear and put on front because I was about 50 miles from home, but that's when I found a rear tire had the same problem. I did move a good tire to the front and smoothed out the steering wheel , but still had a bump bump bump from the rear. By the time I got to the tire shop, another rear tire was bulged out.  Tire shop gave a full refund towards a set of Yokohama geolanders.

Rene T said:
That's a good shop. 2 years old and 9000 miles later.
Well, I do have a trucking company and buy all my truck tires and all other tires there.

The tires were a brand I'd never seen before...and they were showing signs of wear. Thanks for the info! I may need you to negotiate the deal for the replacement tires! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom