Securing your travel trailer at the camp site.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DigitalVI

We plan to use our TT to see the USA. We want to go to an area and set up base camp in a camp ground then explore the area and what it has to offer.  What are some best practices to insure everything is there when you return hours later.  Any recommended hitch locks or other devices.  I understand that the RV community is helpful and look out for each other but I also know stuff happens.

I wouldn't be concerned but that's me. If you are that concerned, I would get a 6' length of case hardened chain and run it through the spokes on two of the wheels then lock it up with a case hardened lock. Or you could go through the spokes on one wheel and up over the axle. Other than that, just put everything away and ask your neighbors to keep an eye open.  You could also notify the office. 

In twenty years of camping all over the US including Alaska, I have never worried abut security.
We lock our trailer when we leave it, and the way I figure it that if someone breaks in and steals one of our computers or a camera, etc, I would just replace them.

Then again I think people who camp in Walmarts or similar places are just asking for it !

Jack L

I would think your trailer would be a much better target while in storage (if you have to go that route) than in a campground. It would be prudent to lock up and secure any big items like bikes, canoes, kayaks, etc while you are gone, but the chances of your trailer itself being hauled off are exceedingly slim.  It may be a different story out west if you are out in the middle of nowhere on BLM land all by yourself, but I'm sure forum members with experience in those areas will chime in with more helpful insights.

I've never had issues camping in National Parks, State Parks, or National Forests.  If you are really concerned I'd buy a lock for TT's hitch coupler.  Most thieves want to grab stuff lying around without wasting a lot of time.  As other have mentioned, lock up your valuables that people can walk away with quickly.  And if you are really concerned about your trailer, get a lock for the hitch coupler.  It's not theft proof, but if someone really wants to steal a trailer, they'll take the one without a lock.

I agree that it's not really an issue while parked at a campground/RV park. Not that it can't be done but to steal a trailer, the thief would have to basically break-down camp: unhook all the utilities, roll up the awning (from inside if it's electric), raise the jacks, etc. Too time consuming (and too much chance of being ID'd) for most thieves, I would think. And maybe it's just me but I usually have a good idea of what vehicle is parked on the site next to me - if a white Ford has been parked there for 3 days and a blue Chevy shows up and starts to hook up, I might ask some questions or at least mention it to the office/manager.

NOTHING will keep your trailer safe from someone that wants it bad enough. All you can do is keep the honest thieves out. :)

73Camper said:
NOTHING will keep your trailer safe from someone that wants it bad enough. All you can do is keep the honest thieves out. :)

Agreed!  I guess I am lucky I don't own anything worth stealing!

I always ask myself before I buy something " will I own it or will it own me?"  I don't have anything I don't mind getting a scratch on or stolen as long as my family is ok.

Thank all of you that have answered.  We are totally new to this and just wondering what to expect or were any additional other than common sense precautions warranted.

DigitalVI said:
Thank all of you that have answered.  We are totally new to this and just wondering what to expect or were any additional other than common sense precautions warranted.

That's funny. You must have seen my truck lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom