West Coast to East Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JACK0848

Ok folks, new to the forum; new to the RV life; new to the cross country idea ... holy cow, I'm in over my head.  Need a crash course in RVing, road side issues, everything!  Military and transferring to the east coast.  Decided to hit the bucket list and buy a 2013 31' Leprechaun to take 15 days to transit the country.  Oldest is off to collage soon and the youngest well, we don't take vacations often.... ever.  So, all in for the Griswolds!
Highlights are Sequoia, Yosemite, Yellowstone and the Tetons. Any recommendations would be appreciated. 
Brakes got checked today, plan to have a spare tire on SB, basics topped off, etc.

It would be almost impossible to see Sequoia, Yosemite, Yellowstone and the Tetons in 15 days and really *see* anything.  You will spend all your time driving.  Tells us which of the above interests you would like to experience the most and where your final destination will be and plenty of people will jump in and try to help you plan your trip.

Thanks Tom, I am spending most of the time driving!  Military orders! Gotta get there on a time schedule. All of the interests will be experienced, albeit short fused. Requests still remain... 

Where are you starting and ending?  I agree that you will be able to see some but not all.

Sorry, I don't need the critical on my timeline.
Just looking for a heads-up on typical maint. issues
leaving San Diego to J-Ville, NC

JACK0848 said:
Sorry, I don't need the critical on my timeline.
Just looking for a heads-up on typical maint. issues
leaving San Diego to J-Ville, NC

Sorry.  Your comment "Highlights are Sequoia, Yosemite, Yellowstone and the Tetons" made me think you were asking for sightseeing opportunities.  Now that you've made your focus clear, there are plenty on this forum to answer maintenance  issue questions.  BTW, I'm Margi.  Tom is my husband and that's our old log-in name.  Confusing, I know.

JACK0848 said:
Ok folks, new to the forum; new to the RV life; new to the cross country idea ... holy cow, I'm in over my head.  Need a crash course in RVing, road side issues, everything!  Military and transferring to the east coast.  Decided to hit the bucket list and buy a 2013 31' Leprechaun to take 15 days to transit the country.  Oldest is off to collage soon and the youngest well, we don't take vacations often.... ever.  So, all in for the Griswolds!
Highlights are Sequoia, Yosemite, Yellowstone and the Tetons. Any recommendations would be appreciated. 
Brakes got checked today, plan to have a spare tire on SB, basics topped off, etc.

Have you given any thought to what route you want to take? I can see going north to Sequoia then up to Yosemite. then to Yellowstone. You will need to be selective as you have such a short time. Keep in mind you can't drive as fast in the RV. I use an average of 50 mph and it comes out pretty close. Have you run the milage? From San Diego to Yosemite to Yellowstone is about 1,437 miles from there to NC is 2,239 miles or 3676 miles. If you drive 8 hours a day that is 9+ days just driving. Can you get some more leave? Driving 8 hours a day in a RV is a long day.
Bill

Having transfered E to W, W to E.. 4 times in my 20 (Sea Bee's) years, as the others have said.. with only 15 days, yer NOT going to be able to SEE anything on yer list of sites based on SoCal, to NC.

I usta take 15+ days leave, plus 15 days travel time.. and ENJOY the trip. Yer Call.

My .02 would be: In 15 days you could see AND visit a few Southern sites by taking I-8 to I-10, into TX.. then I-10 or I-20 to NC.

As far as Road Gear (?), think.. a GOOD selection of tools, 12v air compressor, extra fan belt(s), Oil, Trans fluid, Coolant. Lug wrench, 5+ ton bottle jack, 24" breaker bar, Wood blocks. Check ALL fluids daily. Do a "Walk Around" every morning.. looking at tires , hitch and all trailer connections. Check tire pressures 3/4/5/6 times during the trip.

Thank you for you Service.  :) :)

Thanks Big Joe, good road gear list.  I have heard of people having issues with frequently blown out tires.  Is this common with RVs or this is just typical non-awareness? Not visually checking them frequently, not monitoring tire pressure, etc? Should I be concerned with specific manufactures and/or weight distribution?

Thank you for YOUR service!

JACK0848 said:
Thanks Big Joe, good road gear list.  I have heard of people having issues with frequently blown out tires.  Is this common with RVs or this is just typical non-awareness? Not visually checking them frequently, not monitoring tire pressure, etc? Should I be concerned with specific manufactures and/or weight distribution?

Thank you for YOUR service!
You need to look at the date code on you tire. The recommended age for replacing is 7 years.
Did you read what I posted above?
Bill

Thanks Bill, I did see your post.  We will be going through YS and Jackson.  We planned this trip through RoadTrippers since Nov, went strictly off of their estimates for driving and route selection.

I hope they had some default settings for travel with a motorhome. If not I wouldn't trust them to get me across town. You will not be able to travel as fast as a car. You need to be aware of road and bridge restrictions.
Just so you know I have driven that area and been in every one of the parks and more in the last year.
Bill

I would check and make sure the roads in Yosemite and other destinations will be open.  Record snowfalls in those areas this year.  Was in Yosemite and Sequoia NP in May.  Some of the roads to points of interest were still closed. Highly suggest you check tire pressure every morning when tires are cold before departure.  Best wishes for a safe and memorable trip.

Back
Top Bottom