rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Product Recommendations for a newbie  (Read 590 times)

ip076

• ---
Product Recommendations for a newbie
« on: June 01, 2017, 11:08:30 AM »
I'll be picking up my fifth wheel a week from tomorrow, I'm on the road now for work so I'm planning an amazon shopping list with shipping to arrive home the day I do (week from today).  I've got a few questions.  (I'll be full time living, moving around maybe once a month in the summer, maybe more often in the winter)

Sewer stuff:  Starting from scratch I've got nothing, would like to do this right the first time.  What do you recommend?  Two 10' hoses, the stands, a 90 elbow for the dump station end?  Some say clear, is that just so you can see when you're fully flushed?  How about any of those fittings to hook a water hose to in order to clean the sewer hoses?  End caps for the line for storage?  What brands?  Any better quality than the others?

Leveling blocks:  What do you guys use?  2x8s? The plastic interlocking ones?  The heavy rubber-type ones? Combo?  I've heard the plastic ones can slide around a little bit depending on the surface. 

Wheel chocks:  Anything special?  Plastic ones?  The ones that interlock with the plastic leveling blocks?  They metal type that go between the two wheels and expand? 

Pads for the jacks:  More 2x8s? Plastic blocks?  The round pads that snap onto the jack?  My rig has the 6 pt auto leveling system if it matters. 

Hoses:  Brands?  25' and a 50'?  A separate one for non drinking needs?  Additional for just sewer related tasks?

Cords:  50a/30a and 50a/15a converters for sure.  Any brands to stay away from?  Do most of you guys carry a 50a extension cord?  Use it often?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this should get me started.  Thanks! ;)
2017 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax - Crew Cab, 6.5' bed, SRW
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
Re: Product Recommendations for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »
One thing you did forget and in my opinion is a must, that's a surge protector. I would highly recommend one from Progressive Industries. They warrantee it for life. If you get struck by lightning or have a huge power surge and the protector gets fried, they'll replace it no questions asked.

As far as hoses, two 25' hoses will work for fresh water. Do not get a 50'. It will be a real pain in the a$$ if all you need is 5'.  A 15' for rinsing your sewer hose or whatever. If you need more hose, there are Walmart's all over.

Sounds like you may have 50 Amp in you trailer. As far as cords, I do have a 50 Amp extension that's 15' long. That's always worked for me.
You need adapters for electrical.  50 to 30 in case the campground only has 30 Amp, 30 to 15.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:53:13 AM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

mel s

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 12:20:30 PM »
I'll be picking up my fifth wheel a week from tomorrow, I'm on the road now for work so I'm planning an amazon shopping list with shipping to arrive home the day I do (week from today).  I've got a few questions.  (I'll be full time living, moving around maybe once a month in the summer, maybe more often in the winter)
Sewer stuff:  Starting from scratch I've got nothing, would like to do this right the first time.  What do you recommend?  Two 10' hoses, the stands, a 90 elbow for the dump station end?  Some say clear, is that just so you can see when you're fully flushed?  How about any of those fittings to hook a water hose to in order to clean the sewer hoses?  End caps for the line for storage?  What brands?  Any better quality than the others?
Leveling blocks:  What do you guys use?  2x8s? The plastic interlocking ones?  The heavy rubber-type ones? Combo?  I've heard the plastic ones can slide around a little bit depending on the surface. 
Wheel chocks:  Anything special?  Plastic ones?  The ones that interlock with the plastic leveling blocks?  They metal type that go between the two wheels and expand? 
Pads for the jacks:  More 2x8s? Plastic blocks?  The round pads that snap onto the jack?  My rig has the 6 pt auto leveling system if it matters. 
Hoses:  Brands?  25' and a 50'?  A separate one for non drinking needs?  Additional for just sewer related tasks?
Cords:  50a/30a and 50a/15a converters for sure.  Any brands to stay away from?  Do most of you guys carry a 50a extension cord?  Use it often?
I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this should get me started.  Thanks! ;)

ip076
Those are all good questions but most have no one correct answer... (because one RVer's "must haves" are another RVer's  "junk").
Experience is your best teacher.
My suggestion for anyone just getting started are this: Buy a few basics, (see https://www.google.com/#q=+beginner+rver+basics)...and ONLY add things if/when you need them.

ip076

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »
Thanks guys!  The progressive surge protector wasn't on the list because I've already decided that it's a necessity!

I understand to each his own, I was just looking for a little guidance as to what other people's experience were with different brands and/or techniques and why they went that way?  Maybe what they learned in the process?

Anyone see the movie Tin Cup?  When Rene Russo shows up with all the stupid gimmick golf aids...I feel like RVing could be like that sometimes! :)
2017 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax - Crew Cab, 6.5' bed, SRW
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 02:08:20 PM »
Thanks guys!  The progressive surge protector wasn't on the list because I've already decided that it's a necessity!

I understand to each his own, I was just looking for a little guidance as to what other people's experience were with different brands and/or techniques and why they went that way?  Maybe what they learned in the process?

Anyone see the movie Tin Cup?  When Rene Russo shows up with all the stupid gimmick golf aids...I feel like RVing could be like that sometimes! :)

Better than that would be RV'ing with Robin Williams. I think that's the title.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL