New Trailer - F150 Eco Enough Truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeAndAnnie

We just made a verbal confirmation to buy a new Sunset Trail, Grand Reserve, SS26SI trailer. I want to get some feedback on our truck / camper combo.

Our tow vehicle.

We have a 2012 Ford F150, XLT, Super-Crew, Ecoboost and the Max Tow package. The door sticker shows we have 1788 lb payload. GCWR 17,100, and max trailer weight is 11,200 lbs. It's just me and my wife, so our weight is about 450 lbs. We normally carry 2 bicycles, a portable grill, box of tools, 2 zero gravity chairs, and a case of water in the bed. A couple of trailers back, I actually weighed everything we put in the trailer and it was about 300-400 lbs for a weekend trip. Essentially, clothes and food.

Our New Trailer (website specs)

Overall length 30'. GVWR 7600 lbs. (dry 5986). Tongue wt: 740 lbs

Our current trailer. (2013 Sunset Trail Reserve, ST20CK)

Overall length is about 24'. GVWR 5500 lbs.

We currently use a weight distribution hitch and have never had any issues. I've been towing a travel trailer now for about 10 years. However, this new trailer is considerably heavier, and about 6 feet longer. So I'm wondering -

1. Is this a safe load?
2. How much difference will I notice behind the wheel?

Thanks... Mike

Mike,
I don't think it would be an issue with the trailer you'll be pulling.  I pull a 30ft trailer with my 2017 F150 w/ Max Trailer Tow pkg.  I've pulled the trailer with an F150 (I've had several as I get a new one every year) from Michigan to Arizona, Montana, North Carolina, etc., and have never had issues.  I use an Equalizer WD hitch.

Thanks Keith, that's good to know. We're planning to do more extended trips in about 3 years when my wife retires so your experience makes me feel a bit better.

I'm sure you know this, but just make sure your trailer and your truck are not overloaded and that you have sufficient tongue weight.

Yep, we travel pretty light (in my view) as you can see from my original post. I'll probably move the case of bottled water to the trailer instead of the back of the truck. Already thinking of some redistribution ideas. Thanks

First, thank you for all the RIGHT numbers!!!!

Your max payload is 1788# from the label.

I estimate the cargo you mention will add 200# to the truck, plus 450# passengers plus 80# WD hitch plus 800# hitch wt (10+% of GVWR) for a total of  1530#.  All is good!

The published tongue wt is for a dry TT, not accurate if you actually add stuff to the camper, but salesmen LOVE it!

As a side note, every pound carried in the bed of the truck counts a a pound of payload.  Those same pounds carried in the TT add to the weight of the TT, and only 10% of that weight is transferred to increased hitch wt.

Thanks!  I read enough posts on this board and others to know what numbers are important;). I was also fairly sure I would be okay with my setup but it never hurts to get other confirmation from people who really know - not sales people.

I'll be vigilant in not overloading the truck and also careful what and where I place loads in the trailer. My main concern will be wind but I think I can manage that. If it gets too bad and slowing down doesn't help, I'll pull off and wait. I typically cruise when pullling the trailer at about 63 mph. 

Back
Top Bottom