2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4 down towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff Brown

I'm looking for a new car to replace my Subaru Cross-trek.  I would like to be able to flat tow my next car, but the information I have found about the Jeep Cherokee has me confused.  The Good Sam 2017 Dinghy Guide states about the Cherokee That "Only 4x4 models with 2-Speed Power Transfer Unit may be towed."  But those aren't the words used when describing the four wheel drive systems in any of the Jeep literature I can find.

I know some of you are Jeep enthusiasts and might have a better understanding than I do on this.  I certainly don't trust the dealer to tell me, so I didn't really know where else to go.

Thanks,
Jeff Brown

You are wise to not trust the dealer!

You can check the Owner's Manual on line for information.  It is often in the Towing section.  It should be specific about the requirements.

The web site    http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/        will tell you if a specific model is towable.

Generally speaking, any Jeep 4X4 with a neutral position on the 4WD shifter is towable 4 down, but wait for smarter people to verify this!!

My wife has a FWD 2017 Cherokee.  The manual states that there are two 4x4 transmission.  Only one can be flat tow.  You can download the manual from the Jeep website.  You will see the exact information.  My DW can only be tow in a dolly because is FW.

I'm wondering if I put this in the correct place?  Should I put it in the Motorhome forum?

Thanks,

Hey Jeff I specifically picked up a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk , when I was looking for a vehicle to tow 4 down. I didn't want a cj5/Wrangler for personal reasons.
I went with the Trailhawk because they had the transmission that is like the active drive 2 w the electronic lockers.
From my understanding the Jeeps that can be towed 4 down needs the active drive 2 transfer case that allows freewheeling in Neutral.
This is why I went with the Trailhawk.
Other Cherokee trims can be towed 4 down if you make sure you order the transfer case that supports it.
For the death wobble , they came up with a wiring kit as it had something to do with electric power steering.

Jeff,

This board is fine.  If it really needs moved, a moderator will do it and let you know. 

The moderators try very hard to be inconspicuous in their actions, and they do a GREAT job here!

Willandgiselarv said:
Other Cherokee trims can be towed 4 down if you make sure you order the transfer case that supports it.
For the death wobble , they came up with a wiring kit as it had something to do with electric power steering.

Only the AD-2 Cherokees are towable, since have a neutral feature in their 4WD systems.  The newer "KL" Cherokees are not like the older RWD preferred 4WD Cherokees (and Wranglers) with a separate mechanical xfer case.  The 4WD transaxle of the KL's is electronically controlled.

However because of the steering/suspension design of these vehicles a serious wobble condition can occur.  The wiring kit mentioned keeps the EPS (Electric Power Steering) system active when the engine is off, e.g. while being towed.  The EPS computer is programmed with what FCA/Jeep calls a "wobble mitigation" algorithm.  This software activated the EPS servos to stop wobble when it's detected.  I hope this brief summary helps.  There are numerous threads in other MH and Jeep forums about this.

On the 2017 Cherokee you MUST have the Active Drive 2 system with 4x4 neutral position.  You also need a special wiring harness to power the power steering system while towing.  If buying new insist the dealer include the INSTALLED wiring harness as part of the deal.  If they tell you it is not needed they are either clueless or lying. 

I have spoken to 3 different dealers and they said I do not need harness. Do you know what harness i need to tell them

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom