50A Hook Up Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi! I am new to the site and RVing. Just purchased my first motorhome. I've been doing some research at a few camp sites that I want to visit with my family.  My motorhome has a 30A hook. I noticed places when referring to the hook up it says 50A. Does that mean they only have hook ups for 50A or they have hook ups up to 50A. Sorry for the newbie question. Your help is very much appreciated.

I noticed places when referring to the hook up it says 50A.

It means they have a 50 amp plugin, with an implication (but no guarantee) that it may be ONLY a 50 amp style plug, given the designation you describe.

But different campgrounds have varying electrical hookups. There are some that have 50 amp only, some have 30 amp only and some have both. There are also campgrounds that have different combinations, so some sites with 50 amp and some with 30 amp, or perhaps some with both 50 and 30. A few may even have only 20 amp (you need an adapter, of course). There's no hard and fast rule.

So my recommendation is to get a "dogbone" 30 to 50 amp adapter (30 amp female to 50 amp male) so that you have the option of plugging in to either type. It's also often handy to have a 30 (female) to 15/20 (male) to allow plugging in to house-type outlets. Chances are you can get either or both at a Walmart or Camping World near you.

200031WTiogaOwner said:
Thank you! I just ordered one.

I think you may find that using the 50 Amp receptacle instead of the 30 Amp receptacle will be better. The 30 Amp probably gets more use than the 50 Amp so the receptacle may be worn more on the 30.

Rene T said:
I think you may find that using the 50 Amp receptacle instead of the 30 Amp receptacle will be better. The 30 Amp probably gets more use than the 50 Amp so the receptacle may be worn more on the 30.

And if you're running the max on your power, the breaker inside your RV will trip instead of the one on the pedestal. Nothing like running out to the pedestal to reset a breaker in the pouring rain.

I've never seen a commercial campground that has ONLY the 50A receptacle, but I'm sure they are out there.  The 50A sites I've stayed at generally have 50A (4 prong), 30A (3 prong), and 20A (standard household) outlets in the box.  Still, it can't hurt to have the adapter handy since you already ordered one.

scottydl said:
I've never seen a commercial campground that has ONLY the 50A receptacle, but I'm sure they are out there.  The 50A sites I've stayed at generally have 50A (4 prong), 30A (3 prong), and 20A (standard household) outlets in the box.  Still, it can't hurt to have the adapter handy since you already ordered one.

They're out there, Scott -- I've used them.

200031WTiogaOwner said:
Hi! I am new to the site and RVing. Just purchased my first motorhome. I've been doing some research at a few camp sites that I want to visit with my family.  My motorhome has a 30A hook. I noticed places when referring to the hook up it says 50A. Does that mean they only have hook ups for 50A or they have hook ups up to 50A. Sorry for the newbie question. Your help is very much appreciated.

I carry adapters for all scenarios. 50a to 30a, a 20a to 30a and 15a to 30a.  I also carry a selection of extension cords in my RV. When parked in my driveway I use a 50ft 20amp extension cord from my 20a GFI outlet to a 20 to 30a adapter to my RV.  Best be prepared.

200031WTiogaOwner said:

200031WTiogaOwner
Usually, (but not always), a campsite with a 50A electrical receptacle also have a 30A receptacle.
For those that don't you can use a "50A male to 30A female" adapter:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61KdETg9UqL._SX355_.jpg

We were in one place that had 50 amp only, nowhere within miles to purchase an adapter. We borrowed one from a fellow camper, and bought one later.

I've also been to two campgrounds that serve four sites with one pedestal: two 50 amp and two 30 amp, first come first served. It's best to assume nothing and come prepared.

HappyWanderer said:

I've also been to two campgrounds that serve four sites with one pedestal: two 50 amp and two 30 amp, first come first served. It's best to assume nothing and come prepared.

A not of caution when encountering that: At least one of those that I've seen had the 50 and 30 (or 50 and 50) shared, so you might not be able to get the full rated current if there is another rig also connected to that pedestal.

First things I got list ....my bones...two of them. My rv had a break down link for the cord line but since lost and had to get a new one. And it had a 50 amp cord which I had tocut a end off to replace the 30 amp on the rv during a hot summer day watching my new born grand son.. As the 30 amp cord was to hot that it was melting... That was a life saver for sure.and yes its still hooked up to the rv... Not sure the gauge though...
I as well bought a pull rod for the awning...
A camp stove to cook on
Two small heaters and later a bigger floor heater.. I dont want to use the propane tank on the rv that need to be taken off yet the line a metal pipe down the underside looks like its full of pin holes....so yea the heater was taken out too.. New hoses. Water and sewer.
More later... But if you are new pick up bones for your Rv and have a plug that can allow your power cord to draw off a regular power cord that you would use for weed killing..

I was overnighting at one camp ground last month that required 50 amp RV's to be in 50 amp spaces (with no 30 amp outlets), also no 50 to 30  dogbones allowed. They said it was due to 50 amp rigs overloading their 30 amp outlets and damaging them.  Of course they charged $3 per night more for 50 amp spaces.

Back
Top Bottom