Old time camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back in the '90's, we visited a Museum that had a Camper used by Henry Ford and a US President for a hunting trip.  Very cool.
Marvin

Don, you got some really cute photos there!  Thanks for sharing them.

we visited a Museum that had a Camper used by Henry Ford and a US President for a hunting trip.

That would be the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.  Henry Ford, Teddy Roosevelt and Thomas Edison frequently went camping together.  I would love to have been a bird watching and hearing those three!  Can't you just imagine the ideas flowing from their fertile imaginations!  Another fun RV museum is at Jack Sisemore Traveland in Amarillo, Texas.  It's behind their dealership but anyone is welcome to visit the museum.

ArdraF

cadee2c said:
Id take that coffee pot over a Keurig any day. Thats how you make coffee the way it should be made.

Boil the grounds, and add egg shells to cut the acidity.

While I do sometimes take my Keurig, the $2 tin percolator gets used the most.

gwcowgill said:
Where is the stew pot on a tripod that you keep adding to?  ;)

I bought a campfire tripod from a blacksmith. I also got a neat firepit grill from him.

The rods from the tripod can be used as a cross bar over the fire. And with the extra hooks I got I can hang a couple of my Dutch Ovens and the coffee pot at the same time.

Attachments

• both.jpg
    both.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 24
In September of 2015 we visited Greenfield Village, which is located next to The Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI.  They were having their old car days and the grounds were full of cars and car related items, all older than 1932.  Below are pictures of a Auto -Kamp Trailer, which was built in the 1920's in Saginaw, MI.  The owner had spent years collecting all the period items in the display.

If you like old cars, that's the best show I've ever seen and everything could run.  The cars could drive the roads around the grounds.  Everything from Stanley Steamers to Rolls-Royce's, and every configuration of Model T's and A's made.  Also included many old trucks.

If you haven't been to The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village, that week-end in September is a great time to go.

Attachments

• IMG_4940.jpg
    IMG_4940.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4941.jpg
    IMG_4941.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4942.jpg
    IMG_4942.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4943.jpg
    IMG_4943.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4944.jpg
    IMG_4944.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4945.jpg
    IMG_4945.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4946.jpg
    IMG_4946.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4947.jpg
    IMG_4947.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 20
How many slideouts do those rigs have?

REAL old time camping is cowboy camping -- no tent, just a sleeping bag on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom