older equalizer hitch install..need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhat2020

I bought an older equalizer hitch. the coupler and L bracket are different than the online insructions offer. does anyone know how it goes? has like a pinch bolt instead of studs that hold the L bracket. I'm pretty confused...
thx joe

Contact the manufacturer directly, my cousin just installed one and he said they can tell you what settings (holes) to set the main hitch on the vehicle at specificly for the vehicle and camper you have, he said they were pretty much right on as well.

Do you have a picture?  I have an Equalizer Hitch and the dealer installed it incorrectly several times and I called the Equalizer customer service (800-478-5578) in Utah and they helped me set it up properly.  I did have to invest in a torque wrench (100 ft lbs - 700 ft lbs) and some sockets.  It may not be worth it for you to purchase one and you may be able to rent one.  I get a new vehicle every year and usually end up adjusting the hitch so I purchased a torque wrench. 

Joe, I used two Equal-i-zer hitches on my travel trailers (different weights) and they both had the "pinch bolt" set up for the L-brackets. It was actually straight forward - you just hold the L-bracket where you want it and screw the bolt into the "loop" on the frame bracket so it seats into one of the holes in the L-bracket. You don't have to over-crank it - just snug it up by hand and then tighten it up with a wrench/socket. I found this photo through a Google search - scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page and you'll see it: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24968989/print/true.cfm

I also have the instruction manual - if you like I can scan and email it you when I get home from work tonight. Reply or send me a PM if you would like the manual. I think I know where it is. :)

Joe

keith c said:
Do you have a picture?  I have an Equalizer Hitch and the dealer installed it incorrectly several times and I called the Equalizer customer service (800-478-5578) in Utah and they helped me set it up properly.  I did have to invest in a torque wrench (100 ft lbs - 700 ft lbs) and some sockets.  It may not be worth it for you to purchase one and you may be able to rent one.  I get a new vehicle every year and usually end up adjusting the hitch so I purchased a torque wrench.

I took mine to the local Les Schwab tire dealer and they torqued it for free.

Back
Top Bottom