Dash AC Expansion Valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IslandGuy

There is something about expansion valves and me :'(
I recently had an expansion valve replaced in my basement AC which cost $$$ but the AC seems to be working quite well now...I'll see as we are leaving on Tuesday for a few months.
I was a bit suspicious of my dash AC...it seemed to not be blowing out cold enough air. I checked it today and at the highest setting and at MAX AC I measured 54 degrees. I think it should be closer to 40 degrees.
I checked the firewall and there was a drop of oil on the expansion valve...looking further there was oil stains on the metal frame below it...see the photo.
Great...I suppose I am low on Freon...a few calls around and I found a replacement expansion valve and also a shop that could get me in tomorrow to evacuate the system and replace the expansion valve! So hoping that this takes care of my dash AC issue....
Always something...eh!

Attachments

• IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 71
All done....evacuated, replaced the expansion valve and recharged for $200...Dash AC measured much cooler out of the air vents...of course it was 99 degrees in the cab when I picked up the MH!

I keep losing my charge and for the life of me can't find the leak. It also doesn't blow as cold as it should. You have me wondering about the valve.

This makes me wonder if those recharging kits from Target can be used to top up the AC on the dash AC unit of an RV.

I know when the shop repaired my AC they used Freon with dye...if you have a leak I would at least charge the unit with freon/dye and hopefully you can find where it is leaking. On my AC it was quite obvious that there was a leak at the expansion valve.
After finishing our 2 month trip in very warm weather we were always very comfortable as far as both the dash and basement AC units!

JTsBoss said:
I keep losing my charge and for the life of me can't find the leak. It also doesn't blow as cold as it should. You have me wondering about the valve.
I've had quite a bit of trouble with my dash air over the years. First time it broke, the dryer/filter was replaced - apparently crud in the lines accumulated to the point to where not enough refrigerant could circulate.  Then we had a system leak, the compressor seals were leaky, new compressor and we're back in business.

Just recently Winnebago Factory Service found a crack in the plastic duct handler/box that was admitting hot air. The entire dash would need to be disassembled to replace the box (the box itself was ~$500) so we settled on a patch. So we're back in business again  ::) . For how long anybody knows.

I don't metro hijack this thread but I see that John Canfield has a very similar RV to mine and I have an AC question. My basement AC does not quite keep up when its really warm.  On several occasions, its been in the 100s and it get up to the mid 80s inside the coach.  Is this normal?  Thank you.

The best your basement air is going to do is 20-30 degrees differential from outside air temps to your return air duct. We've beat this topic to death so please search this board for basement air - you will get a good education. Assuming you don't have any air leaking in the ductwork in the rear cap, the solution is adding a roof air. Your basement unit is rated at two tons (24,000 BTU) which is not enough - there is too much heat gain from the side walls, front cab area, etc for two tons to keep you cool. Adding a roof air will provide an additional 13.5k BTU (or even 15k BTU.)

Back
Top Bottom