Unusual Occurrence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chuckbear

While driving on some local back roads we had a strange thing happen. We had been driving for a few hours that day and are into about a month of our current U.S. tour. Only doing 35 to 40 MPH and on hilly roads we suddenly lost the speedometer. Shortly thereafter while going up a small hill the transmission acted like it shifted itself into neutral. Shifting into drive 2 did nothing but downshifting into low gear, drive 1, downshifted the transmission and it shifted OK in drive for a while. Then suddenly it happened again. I have an SCT device connected to the OBD and the transmission was not showing above average temps and no error codes came up. We found a spot to pull over and check things. Fluid levels were right on and nothing appeared to be loose or disconnected. Just for grins, I reinstalled the 5 Star Tune and the speedometer came back and for the last few days, the transmission has behaved itself. But in the back of my mind every day, I worry about another episode. Has anyone else had something like this happen? 1999 F53 Bounder, V10. Chuck

I have had the same problem on my Fleetwood Storm F53 chassis. The problem was a speed sensor. there are 2 or 3 I think. Mine would come and go and the MH would not shift right if the speedometer was not working. We had the speed sensor replaced and it took care of the problem.

Get a OBD2 code reader,it will tell you which sensor is bad.The google it to see where it is and how to change it.

ronster said:
Get a OBD2 code reader,it will tell you which sensor is bad.The google it to see where it is and how to change it.

That is the SCT I mentioned in the original post and the part about no codes. Chuck

My guess is that the tranny is losing communications with the engine ECM and going into a "limp home" mode becasue it cannot determine what gear is should be in.  The speed sensor that Al mentioned would have a similar effect.  However. I don't know enough about the power train on your 99 to suggest where to start looking. If the problem is intermittent, a loose wire connection could do it.

Back
Top Bottom