Dual Pane windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butchiiii

Good Morning to everyone. We are researching FW. A question are dual pane windows needed
or recommended? I believe that they help a wee bit with insulation but is the additional cost
worth it?
Thanks for the knowledge folks.

Do a quick search for Dual pane windows using the search item in the menu bar. There are quite a few notes on them. Consensus seems to be that those who have them, like them. Wish I did!!

butchiiii said:
Good Morning to everyone. We are researching FW. A question are dual pane windows needed
or recommended? I believe that they help a wee bit with insulation but is the additional cost
worth it?
Thanks for the knowledge folks.

butchiiii
I don't know what the additional cost might be...but I've had both in 2 different motor homes, (both purchased used), and IMO dual pane are a whole lot better than single pane windows.
See: https://axleaddict.com/rvs/Buying-Maintaining-and-Repairing-RV-Thermal-Windows

Are they "worth it?" Well, they do provide better insulation, but they're often referred to as dual "pain" windows, because of their tendency to fog up on the inside if a seal leaks. We've never had a problem with ours but lots of folks have posted here about the issue. If I were going to be regularly camping in very cold, or very hot places, I'd probably want them. Otherwise, they'd be low on my priority list. JMO

Kev

We love our dual-pane windows!  They help with cooling, heating, and noise.  It was a requirement when we got our current motorhome.

ArdraF

When I purchased my Solitude I talk to the project manager of the Solitude line and he said that they add 1R factor but do reduce outside noise.  He also stated that they add 200 to 600 lbs to the 5er weight so it weights is concern you might want to skip them. 

Kevin Means said:
Are they "worth it?" Well, they do provide better insulation, but they're often referred to as dual "pain" windows, because of their tendency to fog up on the inside if a seal leaks. We've never had a problem with ours but lots of folks have posted here about the issue. If I were going to be regularly camping in very cold, or very hot places, I'd probably want them. Otherwise, they'd be low on my priority list. JMO

Kev

Kevin, reading thru some of the threads it seemed like there were those problems which I really don't want to
have. If the "dual Panes" are only adding about r1 factor I may skip them. Thanks

ArdraF said:
We love our dual-pane windows!  They help with cooling, heating, and noise.  It was a requirement when we got our current motorhome.

ArdraF

Thanks ArdraF, we will be buying a used unit eventually so if they come equipped already that is what we will probably
end up with.

CWSWine said:
When I purchased my Solitude I talk to the project manager of the Solitude line and he said that they add 1R factor but do reduce outside noise.  He also stated that they add 200 to 600 lbs to the 5er weight so it weights is concern you might want to skip them.

Wow that is a lot of weight that could be used for something else. Looks like we will be leaning towards singles.
Thanks CWSwine

Our motorhome has dual pane (pain) windows.  They've been removed and de-fogged once.

I wish Fleetwood had not put them in the window nearest the drivers seat.  Backing into a spot late in the afternoon when the sun is low is very difficult more often than not because of all the doubled reflections.  When that window got foggy it became a safety issue very quickly.

He also stated that they add 200 to 600 lbs to the 5er weight

Well, they definitely add weight (double the glass), but it's hard for me to imagine enough to add 600 lbs. Maybe on a 40 footer? But then you are talking a 16,000 lb trailer anyway, so quibbling about extra weight doesn't seem meaningful. An extra 200 lbs is well within reason, though.

Re foggy windows: Back around 2003 or so, a glass vendor named SEGI flooded the RV market with dual pane glass that later failed (badly) to hold up to the rigors of road travel. Much (but not all) of the problematic dual pane glass you read about stemmed from that one source and RV owners are still dealing with it. SEGI bailed out of the RV window market and refused to provide any compensation beyond their standard one year warranty.  Road vibration, jacking (leveling) rigs, etc. is very stressful on the seal between the panes, but newer RVs seem to be having fewer problems. Hopefully the quality of the dual panes used has improved, but only time will tell.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
Re foggy windows: Back around 2003 or so, a glass vendor named SEGI flooded the RV market with dual pane glass that later failed (badly) to hold up to the rigors of road travel. Much (but not all) of the problematic dual pane glass you read about stemmed from that one source and RV owners are still dealing with it.

We have SEGI windows from prior to the period in question.  Although a couple have "snaked" none of them have become cloudy.  The noise reduction between single and double pane is so significant that alone would be a good enough reason to have them IMO.

The noise reduction between single and double pane is so significant that alone would be a good enough reason to have them IMO.

That's our feeling too.  What many new RVers don't realize is that campgrounds tend to be located where land is inexpensive and that often means near a railroad line, a freeway, an airport and yes even stockyards!  In other words campgrounds are seldom in truly quiet areas unless in a state or national park.  We often laugh about how many noisy resources there are the campground in which we're currently located.  Even fog horns can be annoying if you're not used to them!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
That's our feeling too.  What many new RVers don't realize is that campgrounds tend to be located where land is inexpensive and that often means near a railroad line, a freeway, an airport and yes even stockyards!  In other words campgrounds are seldom in truly quiet areas unless in a state or national park.  We often laugh about how many noisy resources there are the campground in which we're currently located.  Even fog horns can be annoying if you're not used to them!

ArdraF

So I guess I will decide which way to go based on either the weight differential or the outside noise reduction. Thanks for all of the input everyone.  :)

We've found some private campgrounds that were so quiet we could hear the squirrels planning their coup to establish world domination.

8Muddypaws said:
We've found some private campgrounds that were so quiet we could hear the squirrels planning their coup to establish world domination.

Haha at some of the campgrounds I think the squirrels have already taken over  :)

When we were first married, we lived in a older trailer - 8 X 38.  I had been there for a year.  It was on top of a hill in an older trailer park with lots of mature trees.  In the middle of the night, my new bride wakes me up, thinking a tornado was on the way!  I said no, it was just squirrels playing on the roof!

Back
Top Bottom