Jacksonville FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ISO_AAA

I have the opportunity to work in the Jacksonville FL area this winter. I would be floating between a hospital in Orange Park and downtown Jacksonville. I have looked at Good Sam and other sites for park reviews in the south Jacksonville area. I was advised by the owners of two parks north of the city not to come alone as a single female. I found this rediculous but wanted to get the opinions of other RVers about the area and places to park. I have a 38ft Class A and would need full hookups. I will be there 4 months minimum. Thanks!!

May I ask where you are from? Don't need specifics, just want to get a feel for what you are used to.
You may want to look further south, like towards St Augustine.
Be patient and diligent.
I would not wish a winter in Jacksonville on anybody.

edit: (scratch the first question. I got it, now. )
St Augustine would be a long commute, but if that doesn't scare you, That would be a better place to stay. Or on the South/East side of Jax. Arlington, or east toward Atlantic Beach.
There used to be a KOA off I-95 and SR 210 that we stayed a few times. If it is still there it's a decent location.
Hopefully you get some more up-to-date info.

I'm from the mountains of East Tennessee. I wintered in central Virginia last winter. It wasn't too bad but did have a week of single digit weather and 8 inches of snow. To me the weather in Jacksonville probably wouldn't be bad. I'm more concerned with finding a quiet and safe place with reliable hookups. I do not need a fancy resort park. I'll be working.

The north side of Jacksonville has a fairly rough reputation. I've even been advised to be careful at motels and hotels in and around the airport. Apparently thefts and muggings are not unusual. The south side or out toward the beaches are a better choice, I think.

Flamingo Lake on the north side used to be a quiet park with mostly fulltime residents, but they seem to have gone the "resort" route now. Is that one of the ones that warned about single females?

Stagecoach RV Park, a bit further south, gets good reviews but I don't know if they are interested in long term residents. Beach area campgrounds in Florida are tourist attractions, plus winter prices are often sky high.

A website like RVParkReviews Online might help you find one:http://www.rvparkreviews.com/search?query=Jacksonville%2C+Florida&gsearch=Jacksonville%2C+Florida&ghappened=

I've looked at that one a lot. I usually go there after Good Sam.

It looks like location wise Fleetwood RV Park would be the best. It has good reviews. It is a RV- trailer park combo. Which I don't mind as long as it safe and well maintained. Some of the reviewers said the area is a little sketchy and it is really tight for big rigs.

I stayed in a combo last winter that was not good. The utilities were not reliable. Every time I tried to talk to the office they told me it was a problem with my RV and if I did not like it I could leave. All my neighbors were having the same problems. The owners had what I like to call slumlord mentality. They only wanted our money. It was the only park near the hospital. It had bad reviews so I was mentally prepared when I went. I will not book a park with bad reviews again.

Have you checked into Hanna Park (city cg with full hookups in beachside area (Mayport). Don't know what their long term policy is but it's fairly easy to get to downtown or to Orange Park via 9A/I-295.

I'll second the recommendation of Stagecoach. It's just off I95 west of St Augustine. We stayed there last year.
ken

We often stay at Stagecoach when passing through that area and a couple of times per year rallies. We really like the CG. It seems, however like a long way to downtown Jacksonville especially every day. There is also a campground not far east of 95 on the same road. We have never stayed there

lots of long term residents at stagecoach.  I'd say it's nice enough....but quite a commute.
Hannah park would be a long commute too to OP, not bad to downtown though.  Nice park though bu I also do not know about long term there.
The KOA mentioned at 210 is long gone.

I don't know of a place off hand, but maybe look down green cove springs way if you'll spend more time at OP

Thanks everyone! This helps a lot. I did read the reviews for Hanna. It's tight for big rigs too apparently. Jax is not looking likely for me this winter.

If Shands in Jax is one of the potential work locations, I would avoid it anyway. It's a pressure cooker environment with all too many poorly trained and/or uncaring staff, plus the place is under lock down by armed guards starting in mid evening. We had the misfortune to go there for an emergency and it was a disaster from the moment my wife arrived in the ER.  It was so bad I checked her out on the 2nd day, over loud objections from an very unprofessional doctor, and drove her 100 miles to another hospital.  We've had a lot of hospital experiences across the USA but that one is in a class by itself. Never again.

ISO_AAA said:
Thanks everyone! This helps a lot. I did read the reviews for Hanna. It's tight for big rigs too apparently. Jax is not looking likely for me this winter.

Probably Just as well. Jacksonville is not a nice place to spend winter. It is cold and damp. Too cold to go to the beach, but not really cold enough to get rid of the bugs. and just far enough away from the nice beaches to make it a crappy drive.
And, the fishing sucks, too.

Back
Top Bottom