EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Hospitals -> Expensive Death Factories  (Read 724 times)

SissyBoyFloyd

• ---
  • If we aren't laughing, we aren't living!
    • The Spirit Within
Hospitals -> Expensive Death Factories
« on: June 04, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
Did you know that 60% of people die in a hospital, and another 20% die in "post-hospitals" or nursing homes?  Why do we keep letting people take us there?  Every relative I can think of who died in a hospital went there to be treated or operated on in the guise of improving or prolonging their life.  Instead, they died a miserable torturous death while in there.  I was taken to one last week after I passed out at a dealership while getting my car serviced.  In less than 24 hours they made several mistakes from not giving me medicine that was ordered to preparing me all night by denying me food and drink for a procedure that was never ordered.  My only thought while in there was, "This is a Mad House, a Mad House!"  Please, just let me die in peace in my motor home overlooking some natural wonder.
Pawnee,
Buffalo Hunter

halfwright

• ---
Re: Hospitals -> Expensive Death Factories
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 02:14:37 PM »
Did you know that 50% of doctors are below average and that the other 20% would get an F or D rating?
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, the Ethiopian monkeybeaver dog
and a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
Did you know that 60% of people die in a hospital, and another 20% die in "post-hospitals" or nursing homes?  Why do we keep letting people take us there?

You're applying statistical fuzzy logic...
It's like saying 60% of people who bring their car to a repair shop have something wrong with their car.
Therefore if you don't want something going wrong with your car, don't take it to a repair shop.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

DWJoyce

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 02:36:30 PM »
50% of doctors are above average and 20% have an A or B rating...

It's just a normal distribution. Fact is that all doctors are in the top 5% by education level and just to get into an American medical school requires discipline and commitment few people possess.

This does not apply to foreign doctors, of which I avoid at all costs...

prfcdoc

• ---
  • Happy to be alive!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 05:16:27 PM »
  Please, just let me die in peace in my motor home overlooking some natural wonder.
That's your prerogative. Go right ahead.  🤔
Bob
Bob & Kathy
Saving and researching for our future extended road trip.
2017 F350, Diesel
5th wheel TBD

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 05:44:02 PM »
Did you know that 60% of people die in a hospital, and another 20% die in "post-hospitals" or nursing homes?

Last time I checked 100% of people die, so that leaves only 20% unaccounted for, who must have died at home, or not at home. 100% of the 60% obviously had something drastically wrong and didn't want to die yet so they went to a hospital but unfortunately it didn't work out. This doesn't mean 60% of people who go to hospitals die.

No reasonable conclusions can be drawn from any of this, statistics such as these are meaningless.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

JFN

• ---
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »
Wow, all the experts here, me well I have been in the hospital 4 times with life-threatening problems and am still here. The first person to save, Aortic Aneurism was Dr. Chin, I was 49 the last one was for a bleeding Ulcer and his name is Dr. Kim, now Im 70 so looks like I beat the odds.
John & Connie Neal
2006 Dodge 2500 5.9, PacBrake
Smarty Jr Tuned
2006 KZ 29.5' Durango
MaxBrake, Brake Controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
K6JFN

utahclaimjumper

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
Close friend of mine has been DEAD three times as a result of different types of cancer. All three times was brought to death using chemo chemicals ,,then injected with stem cells and brought back to life.. Still waking up on the grassy side.>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 07:03:45 PM »
Tom and I have experienced exemplary care while hospitalized in three different hospitals this year.  I can hardly find words to express the gratitude I feel for the care each of us was given at each location.  People who choose this caregiving career are truly to be praised and complimented, not disparaged,  particularly by ridiculous flawed statistics.   ::)

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 07:04:05 PM »
isn't it like saying....you'd have to be crazy to pay a psychiatrist for help ?

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 07:51:40 PM »
     Floyd, I can understand your disappointment due to last weeks treatment but my experience has been much different that yours.
     Four years, nine months and five days ago I was admitted to Tampa General for a double lung transplant with less than two months to live. The odds of me getting one at my age and surviving it are extremely poor but they took a chance and now with almost 5 years of new life I cannot agree with your post in its entirety.
     Only 50% of lung transplants make it to 5 years and in three more months I will have beaten those odds also. Thankful for the skill of my Doctors, nurses and my donor, may she live on thru me.
     BTW Floyd have you listed yourself as an organ donor? It will be something positive you can do if not already done. Wonder how many have?
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »
Can we be honest here for just a minute?  This OP regularly posts things designed to just stir things up.  If he had a bad experience in a hospital, I'm truly sorry.  But to disparage the whole body of medical caregivers?  Give me a break!

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »
If you don't like hospitals don't go there.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 08:14:22 PM »
  But to disparage the whole body of medical caregivers?  Give me a break!
:)) :))
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 08:24:53 PM »
Can we be honest here for just a minute?  This OP regularly posts things designed to just stir things up.  If he had a bad experience in a hospital, I'm truly sorry.  But to disparage the whole body of medical caregivers?  Give me a break!
Some people just have to have drama in their life or try and cause it for others. I try and not post on most but some times I can't help myself.
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

Dance Chick

• ---
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »
Our fabulous and adorable grandson, who is 7, is alive today because of some smart and excellent doctors for whom we are very grateful. He was born with an underdeveloped aortic arch and had open heart surgery at 6 days old. Thankfully, his pediatrician detected it. Some of them go undetected and do not have a happy ending. He was whisked away to Tampa from Lakeland where his surgery took place. I cannot imagine the above-average skill that is involved in operating on such a tiny heart.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog-but don't tell him)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox towing/Air Force One braking
"And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."

regval

• ---
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 09:48:49 PM »
:))
If you don't like hospitals don't go there.
:))

2005 Forest River TT 27BHSS and 2009 Heartland Sundance 2998RB 5vr
2007 Chev Silverado 2500HD WT crew cab, LB, 6.6L, Allison 6sp, B&W Companion Hitch
Retired Biomedical Engineer
Lawrenceville, GA

"Some come to the fountain of knowledge to drink, others just gargle."

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 02:59:46 AM »
Numerous reputable studies HAVE concluded that medical/pharmaceutical error is a significant factor in unplanned deaths among various age groups.  IIRC the number of annual deaths attributed to medical mistakes each year is around 40,000... and that information is not widely known/circulated.  It's something that patients should at least be aware of, so they can learn to advocate for themselves and take control of their own treatment. 

However even those numbers won't keep me from seeking treatment from doctors when needed.  We are lucky that out family doctor is a friend who has been around our family for over a decade now.  At appointments he'll sit and discuss your issue(s) for 20 minutes if needed (average time of doctors in an exam room is 2-3 minutes before they recommend treatment and/or write a prescription).  The relationship with our Doctor does increase my trust in his medical recommendations.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »
What to they call the person who graduates at the bottom of their medical class? . . . .  . . . . . . Doctor of course same as the top student.

Seriously When I was last in hospital they took very good  care of me.. I got all my meds on time, and properly given, I had great service, but another thing is I am in command of my health care. had they not treated me right... Let's just say they whould have known it an dmnost of the floor with 'em.. but I had no problems.

Of course the guy in the other bed (Semi-private room) well..... He bore a strong resemblance to the south end of a north bound draft animal... So since I treated the staff well and with respect, he was   the very opposite.

THis may have contributed to my care.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 07:13:16 AM »
Good grief.  I have seen some crazy posts on the forum but this one ranks right up there with ridiculous.  When you get sick, where do you go - to an auto dealer?  I could get really worked up over this topic but best let it go to it's natural grave (not in a hospital)..

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 5 months

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »

This does not apply to foreign doctors, of which I avoid at all costs...

If you lived in certain sections of this country, you would be without a doctor if you reject all foreign doctors.  A lot of rural areas depend on foreign trained doctors.  Many of those have been in their communities for a long time and have come to be accepted and even treasured by the local citizenry.  I can truly say I have never had a bad experience with a foreign doctor but there were a couple whom I could not understand due to language difficulties.

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 07:20:11 AM »
Wow, all the experts here, me well I have been in the hospital 4 times with life-threatening problems and am still here. The first person to save, Aortic Aneurism was Dr. Chin, I was 49 the last one was for a bleeding Ulcer and his name is Dr. Kim, now Im 70 so looks like I beat the odds.

Love that post John.  Similar situation. 

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 07:45:44 AM »
Another hospital story. I've never been a sickly person. Never stayed overnight in a hospital until about 5 years ago. I was 65.  I had a blockage in my intestines. I was talking to the nurse and told her that I hated hospitals and the last time I was in one, was at this hospital when I was born 65 years ago. She laughed.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 07:49:18 AM »
4 Times hospitalized with Congestive Heart Failure, several more times with other problems such as appendicitis, pneumonia and CHF etc.....The care I have received has been outstanding with praise going to my nurses and doctors. They keep my history in their computer so they know me when I come in and treat me accordingly. Homestead and Baptist hospital group in general are great and all my doctors are part of this group.

I choose this arrangement rather than the VA system because of a mistake at the VA hospital. You should be proactive and in control of your healthcare. BTW, I am 75 almost 76 and still upright and even do some work on occasion. 
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 08:50:15 AM »
We've continued to travel despite chronic medical conditions and have been in hospitals all over the USA. I can attest that treatment and medical professionalism varies all the way from fabulous to execrable.  My wife Nancy would not be with us today if not for the care she has received from some outstanding people and places.  However,  Do Not Assume that every procedure or drug is necessary or correct.  Mistakes are sometimes made, so Ask questions and Verify. Not every medical person is the best in their field, and not every day is their best day. Be polite & be respectful of their training and procedures, but be firm in getting answers that make sense.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Just like email sometimes our posts read differently than what's in our heart. Obviously he had a bad experience at a hospital.  It happens.  I don't see that he was slamming everyone in the medical profession however.  I just read it as someone who had a bad experience. I also do not see this post is someone trying to stir up trouble. Just my two cents worth.
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
sweet home Alabama

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 09:59:53 AM »
Did you know that 60% of people die in a hospital, and another 20% die in "post-hospitals" or nursing homes?  Why do we keep letting people take us there?  Every relative I can think of who died in a hospital went there to be treated or operated on in the guise of improving or prolonging their life.  Instead, they died a miserable torturous death while in there.  I was taken to one last week after I passed out at a dealership while getting my car serviced.  In less than 24 hours they made several mistakes from not giving me medicine that was ordered to preparing me all night by denying me food and drink for a procedure that was never ordered.  My only thought while in there was, "This is a Mad House, a Mad House!"  Please, just let me die in peace in my motor home overlooking some natural wonder.

So, if you find yourself in a life-threatening situation, just lock yourself in your motor home. Problem solved.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Irover

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »

I would have died 62 months ago if it wasn't for the foreign cardiologist and nurses  who stented my WidowMaker! Two in the left heart artery, one in the right and Infarct damage to the Left ventricle. 
  Sorry about the bad luck!
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

Hosted by Over The Network