Hospitals -> Expensive Death Factories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SissyBoyFloyd

Did you know that 60% of people die in a hospital, and another 20% die in "post-hospitals" or nursing homes?  Why do we keep letting people take us there?  Every relative I can think of who died in a hospital went there to be treated or operated on in the guise of improving or prolonging their life.  Instead, they died a miserable torturous death while in there.  I was taken to one last week after I passed out at a dealership while getting my car serviced.  In less than 24 hours they made several mistakes from not giving me medicine that was ordered to preparing me all night by denying me food and drink for a procedure that was never ordered.  My only thought while in there was, "This is a Mad House, a Mad House!"  Please, just let me die in peace in my motor home overlooking some natural wonder.

Did you know that 50% of doctors are below average and that the other 20% would get an F or D rating?

SissyBoyFloyd said:
Did you know that 60% of people die in a hospital, and another 20% die in "post-hospitals" or nursing homes?  Why do we keep letting people take us there?

You're applying statistical fuzzy logic...
It's like saying 60% of people who bring their car to a repair shop have something wrong with their car.
Therefore if you don't want something going wrong with your car, don't take it to a repair shop.

50% of doctors are above average and 20% have an A or B rating...

It's just a normal distribution. Fact is that all doctors are in the top 5% by education level and just to get into an American medical school requires discipline and commitment few people possess.

This does not apply to foreign doctors, of which I avoid at all costs...

SissyBoyFloyd said:
Did you know that 60% of people die in a hospital, and another 20% die in "post-hospitals" or nursing homes?

Last time I checked 100% of people die, so that leaves only 20% unaccounted for, who must have died at home, or not at home. 100% of the 60% obviously had something drastically wrong and didn't want to die yet so they went to a hospital but unfortunately it didn't work out. This doesn't mean 60% of people who go to hospitals die.

No reasonable conclusions can be drawn from any of this, statistics such as these are meaningless.

Wow, all the experts here, me well I have been in the hospital 4 times with life-threatening problems and am still here. The first person to save, Aortic Aneurism was Dr. Chin, I was 49 the last one was for a bleeding Ulcer and his name is Dr. Kim, now Im 70 so looks like I beat the odds.

Close friend of mine has been DEAD three times as a result of different types of cancer. All three times was brought to death using chemo chemicals ,,then injected with stem cells and brought back to life.. Still waking up on the grassy side.>>>Dan

Tom and I have experienced exemplary care while hospitalized in three different hospitals this year.  I can hardly find words to express the gratitude I feel for the care each of us was given at each location.  People who choose this caregiving career are truly to be praised and complimented, not disparaged,  particularly by ridiculous flawed statistics.  ::)

isn't it like saying....you'd have to be crazy to pay a psychiatrist for help ?

Floyd, I can understand your disappointment due to last weeks treatment but my experience has been much different that yours.
    Four years, nine months and five days ago I was admitted to Tampa General for a double lung transplant with less than two months to live. The odds of me getting one at my age and surviving it are extremely poor but they took a chance and now with almost 5 years of new life I cannot agree with your post in its entirety.
    Only 50% of lung transplants make it to 5 years and in three more months I will have beaten those odds also. Thankful for the skill of my Doctors, nurses and my donor, may she live on thru me.
    BTW Floyd have you listed yourself as an organ donor? It will be something positive you can do if not already done. Wonder how many have?

Can we be honest here for just a minute?  This OP regularly posts things designed to just stir things up.  If he had a bad experience in a hospital, I'm truly sorry.  But to disparage the whole body of medical caregivers?  Give me a break!

Tom and Margi said:
Can we be honest here for just a minute?  This OP regularly posts things designed to just stir things up.  If he had a bad experience in a hospital, I'm truly sorry.  But to disparage the whole body of medical caregivers?  Give me a break!
Some people just have to have drama in their life or try and cause it for others. I try and not post on most but some times I can't help myself.

Our fabulous and adorable grandson, who is 7, is alive today because of some smart and excellent doctors for whom we are very grateful. He was born with an underdeveloped aortic arch and had open heart surgery at 6 days old. Thankfully, his pediatrician detected it. Some of them go undetected and do not have a happy ending. He was whisked away to Tampa from Lakeland where his surgery took place. I cannot imagine the above-average skill that is involved in operating on such a tiny heart.

Tom and Margi said:
:))
SeilerBird said:
If you don't like hospitals don't go there.
:))

Numerous reputable studies HAVE concluded that medical/pharmaceutical error is a significant factor in unplanned deaths among various age groups.  IIRC the number of annual deaths attributed to medical mistakes each year is around 40,000... and that information is not widely known/circulated.  It's something that patients should at least be aware of, so they can learn to advocate for themselves and take control of their own treatment. 

However even those numbers won't keep me from seeking treatment from doctors when needed.  We are lucky that out family doctor is a friend who has been around our family for over a decade now.  At appointments he'll sit and discuss your issue(s) for 20 minutes if needed (average time of doctors in an exam room is 2-3 minutes before they recommend treatment and/or write a prescription).  The relationship with our Doctor does increase my trust in his medical recommendations.

What to they call the person who graduates at the bottom of their medical class? . . . .  . . . . . . Doctor of course same as the top student.

Seriously When I was last in hospital they took very good  care of me.. I got all my meds on time, and properly given, I had great service, but another thing is I am in command of my health care. had they not treated me right... Let's just say they whould have known it an dmnost of the floor with 'em.. but I had no problems.

Of course the guy in the other bed (Semi-private room) well..... He bore a strong resemblance to the south end of a north bound draft animal... So since I treated the staff well and with respect, he was  the very opposite.

THis may have contributed to my care.

Good grief.  I have seen some crazy posts on the forum but this one ranks right up there with ridiculous.  When you get sick, where do you go - to an auto dealer?  I could get really worked up over this topic but best let it go to it's natural grave (not in a hospital)..

Bill

Back
Top Bottom