Best Route from Connecticut to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DawnG

This is our first cross country trip with our Montana 5th Wheel. We would like to take the northern route out and a southern route back.We are traveling with 2 dogs.We are planning at least 5-6 weeks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dawn

Go somewhere else than Alaska if all you have is 5-6 weeks. 

If you drive all day and cover 350-400 miles each day it takes 5-7 days to go from the US border in the Montana area to Fairbanks or Anchorage.  Then you need to add your time to drive from CT to MT.  You will be hard pressed to do much more than to drive all the time.

Consider flying to Anchorage and renting an RV for 4-5 weeks.  If you have 2-3 people to fly, your cost to fly and rent may be close to the cost of driving/pulling an RV all that way.

I would take 80 or 90 all the way up to Seattle then cross over. Make sure you don't have a record especially with a DUI or they can turn you back and not let you in. They do check your background.

When I'm on a trip I do 600 miles a day. I go 300 miles then stop and make coffee and a snack. I then drive another 200 miles then take a long break up to an hour then do the last 100.

I've been looking at an AK trip next summer.  Not sure, Seattle could be a scenic drive, but I think it could add around 400 miles. I looked at the Google distances from both Seattle and Bozeman to Anchorage. Seattle is 300ish miles closer, but it's almost 700 miles from Bozeman to Seattle all on I90. You could also drive one way and take the ferry back, not cheap though.

Dawn

I would travel across the northern US to ND and cross over into Canada east of Calgary,  which is a neat  place to visit. From there we have traveled through Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper NPs and then on to Dawson Creek to start up the Alaska Highway. From CT you can save time and avoid a lot of traffic by crossing into Canada at Niagra Falls and back into the US at Port Huron, MI and traveling the UP of MI.

If you can allow yourselves more time. We have been up twice, the first time we spent 2 months from border crossing to  border crossing and two years ago we crossed on June 6th and returned on August 28th which is pretty much the summer season.

On both trips we passed on some places.

I hope you like to drive a lot!  On our last trip to Alaska we spent one full month IN Alaska and two months going to and from the Alaska state line.  And we passed up places in Alaska because we didn't have enough time to see it all.  You don't specify what southern route you would take on the return but I suggest staying north because you're already driving a lot of miles.  The idea of entering Canada early to go through the Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper area is a good one.  It's a beautiful area and the Icefields Parkway is fun.  Five-to-six weeks isn't very long for such an ambitious trip.

ArdraF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom