Plattekill, NY to Gettysburg, PA to Elizabethtown, KY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsk1977

Hello all! My husband and I purchased our first RV a few months ago, a 2017 Starcraft AR-One Maxx 21 FB. We have used it several times locally and are really loving it. Next month, we are setting off on our first long road trip with it. We'll be making a round trip from north Mississippi to Plattekill, NY. We're giving ourselves 3 days of travel time for each direction.

On our way, it looks like we will be on the interstate almost the entire time, but coming home we plan to stop in Gettysburg, which puts us on some roads other than interstate for a bit. We will be leaving the KOA in Gettysburg, PA, heading to Elizabethtown, KY, before coming home. It looks like the majority of our trip will be interstate, but we're not familiar with the area in NY & PA, so I wondered if the route has any difficult grades or roads before we get back on I-70.

I'm almost hesitant to post this and hear that we are crazy for setting off on such an ambitious trip, but we have done a lot of planning and are really excited about it. Hopefully we're not biting off more than we can chew!

Thanks in advance for any helpful information about our route!

hi friend,
I presently live in Springfield KY ( not far from E town,as it is called here). Originally I was from NY. I have made this trip many times. Taking I 64, I 70, 71, 75 80 whatever all are good roads. No steep grades.
Last year we made the trip to Long Island and went right through Gettysburg.  Plan at least 1-2 days at Gettysburg. It is absolutely awe inspiring. Go to the museum at the entrance and buy the CD for your motor home or car. It leads you through 25 stops as you drive around through the battlefields and tells you specifically what happened at each battle field. It ends at Pickets charge and finally the Gettysburg address. Without it you won't know what you are looking at. Words can not describe the death of over 55,000 Americans in 3 days! don't miss it. enjoy your trip. try to avoid going up I 95. head north into upstate NY without going near Washington DC, NY city, or New Jersey. 81 north is good.

I live in southern PA and have traveled to Gettysburg many, many times.  Route 30 to 81 is not a problem.  US15 to I70 works well too.  I would not recommend the short cut through Catoctin mountains (MD77) beautiful drive but some very sharp curves.  I68 has some pretty steep grades.  Our 2014 1500 strained with our 7000# camper.  Our new 3500 has no issues. 

By all means though - enjoy Gettysburg!  We love it there!  You can easily spend a couple of days just doing battleground tours.  Don't leave out a walk through the town though.  Many quaint shops.

Thanks to both replies we got! 

BeagleDad said:
I68 has some pretty steep grades.  Our 2014 1500 strained with our 7000# camper.  Our new 3500 has no issues. 

This concerns me a little, as we are driving a 2007 1500 (although our camper is going to be closer to 5000 lbs) and Google Maps was suggesting for us to take MD 66 down to I-70, and then on to I-68 to I-79.  I'm wondering if we should consider an easier route.  It looks like PA 30 to I-76 then I-70 to Columbus then I-71 to Cincinatti & Louisville would only be a few extra miles.  To anyone familiar, should PA 30 be OK that entire way?  Also, I wonder if going through larger cities is a bad idea, traffic-wise.

I appreciate any opinions, as this is our first big outing with our TT, and I'm admittedly a bit apprehensive in addition to being excited for the adventure!

You would probably have better luck than I did on I68 as you are quite a bit lighter.  We have been the entire length of Pennsylvania on Rte 30 though on a motorcycle not pulling a camper.  It is four lanes all the way so if you are slow you can hang out with the trucks in the right lane.  Rte 30 has a pretty good climb to get over the mountains (you'll have to do this any route you take) but it is a shorter climb and there is a restaurant at the top that has plenty of room for you and your camper.  There is a great view from up there too.  The road over the mountains is two lanes going up and one lane coming down.  Rte 30 west of Chambersburg has a lot of history.  If you choose this route, take a look at this page https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/

Back
Top Bottom