Front End Alignment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Getting Old

Recently added a 26 foot Winnebago Sightseer on a Workhorse solid axle chassis to my stuff and am not happy with the handling.  Have added the 3 Ts suspension system,weighed 4 corners and adjusted the tire pressure on new Goodyears and had the front end aligned to spec.  Have heard that a 5 degree positive castor adjustment may help.  Have also heard the 16000 Workhorse chassis may not be amenable to this adjustment.  Just trying to do away with the white knuckle driving. What say all of you????

Don G, WIT 70041

Getting Old said:
Recently added a 26 foot Winnebago Sightseer on a Workhorse solid axle chassis to my stuff and am not happy with the handling.  Have added the 3 Ts suspension system,weighed 4 corners and adjusted the tire pressure on new Goodyears and had the front end aligned to spec.  Have heard that a 5 degree positive castor adjustment may help.  Have also heard the 16000 Workhorse chassis may not be amenable to this adjustment.  Just trying to do away with the white knuckle driving. What say all of you????
Don G, WIT 70041

Don G
Me thinks poor handling is more often caused by poor weight distribution than by improper wheel alignment.

Sometimes the coach owner can better distribute the cargo...  but if the builder placed weigh like the batteries, generator and/or the propane and water tank behind the rear wheels there is little that can be done to improve the handling.

Hard to guess what your standard for handling is. It's never going to be like a car or even a pick-up - much heavier, top heavy, etc. Further, often a perceived "white knuckle" handling problem in a Class A is actually a driver problem. The difference in the driver position throws off the many years of "muscle memory" gained while driving cars, causing the driver to constantly misjudge and correct. Odds are high that you are focused too close ahead and spending a lot of time worrying about keeping between the lines, checking mirrors, etc. It's a natural thing to do.

The best add-on for a solid axle leaf spring suspension is a track bar (panhard rod), either front or rear or both. It reduces the sideways shift in the spring stack that affects all multi-leaf spring suspensions.

You mentioned the 16,000 lb GVWR, but Workhorse has a couple of those. The P-series was available in a 16k version, plus there is the W16 class A chassis in 16k as well. Can you identify which you have, and the year? It's probably a W-series, but I want to make sure.

I've written an article on Motorhome Handling Problems for the RVForum Library. You might find some clues there.
Motorhome Handling

Fourth motorhome since "89 plus a few years driving GI and concrete trucks so probably over the fixated driver attitude.  This rig is new to me as I parked my 40 footer and live in it full time and use the little guy for short trips although just got back from a WIT Caravan to Nashville/Memphis/Branson and fought trucks and wind on West I 40 coming home.  I am used to the wind and trucks but the rut tracking sets my teeth on edge.  Have an appointment with a truck alignment shop and will have them check for any wear problems and the 5 degree castor adjustment.

Just had my chemo infusion so everything goes on hold for a few days.

Don G, WIT 70041

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom