New guy with a Fan tastic question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

windkn0t

After researching this to death on the net with no answer, I turn to you guys....  I am a new travel trailer owner and I am having issues with my Fan tastic 2250 fans. Both fans were installed by my dealer, who are great guys, when I purchased the unit new. I found out this weekend while washing pine needles and sap off the roof that both fans leak water between the dome and the rubber seal on the frame. Upon further inspection, I have a varying gap almost all the way around the sealing surface, except for the side where the closing arm is, that side seals tight. I would say the gap at its widest is 1/32, about the thickness of a business card, and it varies.

Ive tried loosening the dome screws and forcing the lid down as I tighten the mounting screws back up. It took up a bit of space, not much. Has anyone had an issue like this with their vent fans?

I would say your dealer did a "Not Fantastic" (actually a crappy) job of installing the fans.

I do not know if it can be fixed.. but since I am not taking the time to search the model.

Are those manual up/down (You crank them) or power up/down (Push a button)

IF the former. I'd put a cover over 'em.. that keeps the rain OFF the FF and allows you to use it even if it is raining.,

I might also ut a "lip" inside the cover so it "caps" not just covers.  But that's me, and alas. might not look as good as I like.  There may be a foam tape solution too but I hesitate to offer it for other reasons.

I believe there is a foam gasket between the flange and roof of RV so you won't get the flange flat against the roof.  Every Fantastic vent fan I've seen installed, including both of mine, have liberal amounts of Dicor self leveling caulk all around the edges and over the top of the mounting screws.  Suggest you buy some Dicor.

The 2250's are manual open models. As for install, what mistake could cause uneven sealing at the dome?

The area that is leaking is between the dome and the rubber lip seal on the fan housing.

Thanks for any insight

Welcome to The RV Forum!

If the lip nearest the hinge is hitting first, either the lid is sitting too low on the hinge so the seal next to the hinge is stopping the lid from closing any further, or you've reached the limit on the closing mechanism.

Try loosening the dome screws again, and with the screws slightly loose, use the crank to open and close the lid and see if this lets the lid square up to the base.  If it does, tighten the screws while the lid is closed and you should be good.

If that doesn't work, and since both vents are affected, I'd lean towards thinking it's a manufacturing defect.  Fan-Tastic Vent has a good reputation, try contacting them and see if they have any ideas.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/fan-tastic-vent-s-contact-us.html

And no matter whether you get them fixed or not, I second what John said about installing covers over them. Here's what I used on mine:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/fan-tastic-ultrabreeze-vent-cover-white/58894

They are also available in black and smoke colors too.

kdbgoat said:
And no matter whether you get them fixed or not, I second what John said about installing covers over them. Here's what I used on mine:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/fan-tastic-ultrabreeze-vent-cover-white/58894

They are also available in black and smoke colors too.
These are an absolute must!! The 50.00 (or less investment on Ebay or Amazon) will save you from having your camper totaled out by the insurance company.

Back
Top Bottom