travel trailer roof coating??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmy87903

I have a travel trailer with a edpm roof.Looking to extend the life on this roof,the travel trailer is 10 years old  and was out in the open the first 7 years,but is now under roof year round,but I want to do all the maintence upkeep I can to keep it up.I have looked at all roof coating products including the sponsor for this website which is liquid roof,but prefer dicor.I have been looking at dicor signature extended life roof coating.Does anyone have any input on this roof coating or any roof coating??Just trying to extend my roof life and looking for the best bang for my buck,any info would be appreciated.Thx all

A roof coating isn't preventive maintenance - it is a repair for a worn out epdm membrane. There is no value to coating a roof until the existing membrane is worn away, i.e. you begin to see the woven backing material. At age 10, I would expect that yours has at least another 5-10 years of useful life, and maybe more if covered. However, if it was exposed to acid rain or industrial chemicals in the air, it may be prematurely worn.

If you want to go ahead and coat it now rather than later, Dicor products are as good as any. However, you need to determine if you have  Dicor epdm or Alphas Systems epdm, becasue the Dicor (and similar products) require use of a primer if applied to an Alpha Systems membrane. Alpha makes their own line of products that are compatible with their roof membrane, though.

Most Fleetwood RVs used Alpha brand epdm, and some other companies as well. If unsure, I suggest using the primer under Dicor or similar compatible coatings.

THX SO VERY MUCH GARY,I really appreciate your knowledge and assistance not only on this topic but others I read as well,the endless knowledge of rv's you obtain is nothing any of us can obtain at a rv dealer,much less for free.I am not sure if I have Dicor epdm or if it is alphas systems epdm,but I will check into that.I do know it is epdm and not tpo,I pulled my bathroom vent cover from inside and the roof material has a black backing and not all one color.I have used protect all protectant on my other rv roofs for years,I may stick with a good re-caulk all the way around and a coat or two of good protectant like protect all or dicor.I am not sure at the present if I want to recaulk over the exzisting caulk at the gutter rail on the sides,where the sides meet the top or take a heat gun and try and gently remove what old caulk buildup I can before the new caulk goes on.What are your views on this?Thx again

I just last week re-sealed the corners and all other areas that looked questionable, I removed all the old sealant in the corners as it would be questionable to get a proper seal. I waited too long and have a couple of bubbles in the siding which I intend to fix shortly. From now on I will be inspecting and repair as required at 6 month intervals.

JFN said:
I just last week re-sealed the corners and all other areas that looked questionable, I removed all the old sealant in the corners as it would be questionable to get a proper seal. I waited too long and have a couple of bubbles in the siding which I intend to fix shortly. From now on I will be inspecting and repair as required at 6 month intervals.

this is the key right here. Regular maintenance. Washing it, inspecting and resealing the edges and corners on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom