Black Tank Rinse Wand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john owens

Last week we were camping with full hookups. Sometime into the second week the black tank started acting up. Opened the valve and drained, or so I thought. Hooked up a hose to the tank rinse device which I think is some sort of wand with holes like a lawn sprinkler we had in the old days. Before the rinse water would drain out right away. Now nothing comes out. I closed the BW valve and let it rest overnight. Next day pulled the drain valve and got a decent amount of material flushed. Tried the wand again and nothing. Its obvious I have a partial blockage. I have plumbing experience but how can I fix this without getting material all over me and the ground?? p.s we had family with us and who knows if they did something weird in the bathroom... ::)

Fill the black tank completely full even if you need to use a hose in the potty.  Drain and repeat until the flush water is completely clear. Get a clear elbow for the drain fitting if you don't have one.  One more tip is make sure the tank vent on the roof is clear and open.

John Canfield said:
Fill the black tank completely full even if you need to use a hose in the potty.  Drain and repeat until the flush water is completely clear. Get a clear elbow for the drain fitting if you don't have one.  One more tip is make sure the tank vent on the roof is clear and open.

Correct, you can also youtube the topic of putting ice and water down toilet to clean the black tank. For me I dont think it works, a guy created his own test with this concept and used a clear black tank and filled it up etc and drove around with this in the bed of his pickup truck. I nor the tester was sold that this works.

john owens said:
Last week we were camping with full hookups. Sometime into the second week the black tank started acting up. Opened the valve and drained, or so I thought. Hooked up a hose to the tank rinse device which I think is some sort of wand with holes like a lawn sprinkler we had in the old days. Before the rinse water would drain out right away. Now nothing comes out. I closed the BW valve and let it rest overnight. Next day pulled the drain valve and got a decent amount of material flushed. Tried the wand again and nothing. Its obvious I have a partial blockage. I have plumbing experience but how can I fix this without getting material all over me and the ground? p.s we had family with us and who knows if they did something weird in the bathroom... ::)

john owens
On my coach the part of the black tank flusher located in the black tank itself can be removed and cleaned while the black tank is empty without creating a mess.

Thanks for info and keep up your ideas. We have two toilets in this rig. The "guest" toilet is on the blink...again. The foot pedal flusher failed again so I bought a whole new toilet. Haven't put it in yet. The main head is ELECTRIC and is the one we use the most. Push buttons on the wall thing. So at the moment I have no way of putting a hose in there....I am too large to get on the roof so I am hoping the vent is clear...I did have some problems with birds last month building nests inside my toppers.....hmmm.. I may have to try and remove the WAND if it is not a big deal...maybe my million dollar (jk) extended warranty may come into play...

john owens said:
... We have two toilets in this rig. The "guest" toilet is on the blink...again. The foot pedal flusher failed again so I bought a whole new toilet....
We are on our third toilet replacement, the latest one is a Dometic 310 and was recommended by a mobile RV service guy. It's reliable and can be rebuilt in-place (unlike the others.)

John Canfield said:
We are on our third toilet replacement, the latest one is a Dometic 310 and was recommended by a mobile RV service guy. It's reliable and can be rebuilt in-place (unlike the others.)

The Dometic Sealand Traveler 510 is another good reliable toilet
(Mine is 21 years old... in a now 148k mile coach)
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-302651003-Sealand-China-Toilet/dp/B002IVAYLE

Back
Top Bottom