how best to seal holes drilled in toad body for lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blaise

I have a 2015 Chevy Sonic that I'll be pulling behind our Winnie. I ordered a TrailerMate Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles (Item # TM780098S, see https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Chevrolet/Sonic/2015/TM780098S.html?vehicleid=20151134721). I loved the idea of a permanent solution with no hole drilling, no splicing, etc. But after 6 weeks on back order - and it's STILL not available - I'm tired of waiting. (I was told that the TrailerMate company was bought out, chaos reigns, etc.)

So I bought a very nice Roadmaster magnetic light kit with strong magnets, according to reviews (https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Chevrolet/Sonic/2015/RM-2100.html?vehicleid=20151129797)

I'm planning to permanently run wiring from the 6-wire socket mounted on the Blue Ox base plate on the front of the car, to the rear, and have the wire pop out just above the drivers side tail light. I would put a 4 wire male connector on the end of this permanent wire. I would then outfit the magnetic lights with a short lead (3 or 4 feet) ending in a 4 wire female connector to run from the roof down to the permanent wire. The connectors and wire fit nicely under the rear door (hatch) between (and on the outside of) the hatch's rubber seal and the pneumatic piston that holds the hatch open. I thought I'd use a self-stick Velcro pad to hold the connectors in place. I would need to drill a hole through which the permanent wire would be run to the front of the car.

See illustration attached.

This way, setting up to tow is easy - just place the magnetic lights on the roof, run the short wire from the lights down under the hatch and connect it to the permanent wire. Plus, there are no wires outside the car flailing around in the wind that could mar the car's finish.

Any opinions on this approach?

Once I drill the hole in the body that I'll run the permanent wire through (just above the car's break light housing), I'll mount a grommet in the hole, run the wire through the grommet and seal with RTV 598 black silicone.

OK, here's the question (finally!). After I drill the hole, and before I put the grommet into the hole, what should I use to seal the bare metal edge of the hole that is exposed by drilling? I was thinking of spay painting it lightly with Rustoleum, or maybe just applying dielectric grease.

I guess some will say it's not necessary to seal the edge of the hole because I'm using a grommet, but ... I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy, and I really don't want any rust issues  ...  :)

Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• Wiring-Plan.jpg
    Wiring-Plan.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 25
If it were mine, I would just a model paint brush and put some primer on it. Then when that's fully dry, go over it with some touch-up paint that matches the vehicle. Primer alone will not keep it from rusting. If I were being anal about it, (and why not?), remove the tail light to get to the other side of the hole.

Thanks for the response hdbgoat. Primer and touch up paint is not a bad idea.

I actually did remove the light assembly, but I placed it back on for the picture so everyone can more easily see what I'm talking about.

And if you look in the picture, to the right of the light assembly and up a bit, you can see that I've already pulled the inside wall covering (with the green connector) away from the wall so I do indeed have full access to the other side of the hole.

Were it me, I would terminate the permanent wire inside the car, and bring it around or through the inside covering you have removed.  When towing, I would make my 4 wire connector location inside the car and run the wire over the gasket and up to the lights.  If this is done on the side, or even downhill on the side, there is very little chances of a leak.

Thanks for the response grashley.

I was considering something like that. But the wire is pretty thick (5/16" round), and I was concerned bout leaks in rain.

But - like you said - I guess if you cross the gasket at the bottom - say the bottom left corner - leaks are less likely.

Gotta think about that some more ...

Blaise said:
I was considering something like that. But the wire is pretty thick (5/16" round), and I was concerned bout leaks in rain.

I would use 4 conductor flat cable like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Light-Wiring-Harness-colors/dp/B01KMTDC2Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496896992&sr=8-2&keywords=4+wire+flat+cable

Thanks Alaskans,

That's not a bad idea ... I considered splicing in some 4-flat, just to make it through the hatch, and I may yet do that.

I did that on an SUV using flat cable. The permanent wiring terminated inside and the flat cable went out thru the rear hatch door when needed to plug in the mag lights.

Blaise said:
I have a 2015 Chevy Sonic that I'll be pulling behind our Winnie. I ordered a TrailerMate Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles (Item # TM780098S, see https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Chevrolet/Sonic/2015/TM780098S.html?vehicleid=20151134721). I loved the idea of a permanent solution with no hole drilling, no splicing, etc. But after 6 weeks on back order - and it's STILL not available - I'm tired of waiting. (I was told that the TrailerMate company was bought out, chaos reigns, etc.)

So I bought a very nice Roadmaster magnetic light kit with strong magnets, according to reviews (https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Chevrolet/Sonic/2015/RM-2100.html?vehicleid=20151129797)
I'm planning to permanently run wiring from the 6-wire socket mounted on the Blue Ox base plate on the front of the car, to the rear, and have the wire pop out just above the drivers side tail light. I would put a 4 wire male connector on the end of this permanent wire. I would then outfit the magnetic lights with a short lead (3 or 4 feet) ending in a 4 wire female connector to run from the roof
Any opinions on this approach?

Blaise
Rather than drilling a holes in the body of the 2015 Chevy Sonic why not simply run the permanent wires through the car and into the trunk ...then connect and disconnect the short wire leads from each of the tail lights there...(in the trunk)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom