Brown water from Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davelefevre

I dont get this.  i have a standard set up hose coming from a well water system though my New in-line filter.  The water appears clear at the tap, but when I disconnected the hose to the RV to use to wash some parts and turned the water back on, I got a surge of brown water after the in line filter.  I feel like it has something to do with dislodging some matter within the well water system or within the filter, but how does it get by the filter?

Brown or Charcoal black?

There are a couple of possible answers but most "in-line" filters contain charcoal either in comressed block or granular form. and often when you first "presure up" you will get some charcoal dust.

Now.. as it turns out. charcoal is harmless.. IN fact it can, under some conditions, be benefical to a person so it's not a problem if you accidently drink some.  One of the few treatments with no, or next to no side effects.

(Charcoal absorbs toxins, but in the quanity you are likely to ingest (Way below therautic) no effect at all)

Some filters allow a brief surge of un-filtered water each time a water source is connected. If you [briefly] get brownish water, it's probably sand that was trapped in the filter and settled out, then got flushed thru when the hose was reconnected. Could also be iron (rust) or sulfur compounds, if that is what the filter has been collecting previously.

If it offends your sensibilities, disconnect the outlet from the filter before re-connecting the hose and then let water flow for 20-30 seconds to clear away the loosened gunk. Then normal filtering will resume and you can re-attach the filter outlet side to the RV.  Some fixed mount filters have a relief valve to accomplish the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom