Towing with a 2014 Coleman15BT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coleman15

towing with a 2014 Coleman15BT(bunk beds)--18'overall length--2700lb dry weight--single axle--350lb tongue weight--with sway bars and trailer brakes

tow vehicle is a 1995 stnd cab toyota truck with 4cylinder 22re engine with 5 speed manual--4wd--rated 3500lb max towing and a 6000lb max Uhaul chassis hitch with triler brakes and sway control

appreciate all views--comments on towing challenges and problems re steeper grades---towing weight--etc
thnks in advance--Coleman15

Welcome to the Forum!!

First, ignore the dry weights.  They only apply to the guy delivering the camper from the factory.  That weight usually does not even include a full propane tank, let alone the stuff YOU add before you go camping!  A much better estimate of the weight of the camper you actually tow is the GVWR of the camper.   

The actual tongue wt must be at least 10% of the actual Travel Trailer (TT) weight or it will have horrid towing manners.

You will be very happy to have brakes on the trailer!

I had an '80 Nissan (actually a Datsun) King Cab  4 cyl. 5 sp. manual and towed a 2400 loaded pop up.  On flat ground, it was fine.  It clearly was under powered, but for less than 100 miles, it got the job done.  HOWEVER, on one trip to our church campgrounds, I had to stop part way up the fairly steep entry road.  I was done.  It did not have enough torque to get the clutch out in 1st gear without stalling.  I walked on up the hill and the caretaker came down with the tractor!

That trailer has a cargo capacity of around 900 lbs, so will likely weight close to 2700+900=3600 lbs when you tow it. That puts you at or above the truck max tow rating, and that's without considering the weight of passengers in the truck, gear in the truck bed, and the weight of the hitch itself.  In my opinion, towing that will be a handful at the best of times and steeper grades will be miserable. You need more truck or less trailer.

Back
Top Bottom