Can i salvage dead Trojan T105 battery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will Harrison

We bought 6 new batteries for our golf cart but did not drive it for a year...now all batteries dead.  Tried to recharge...Can I buy an additive to bring them back? or replace the acid? Any ideas before dropping another ~$700 for replacements. Thanks

The chargers furnished with the golf cart ( 36 volt or 48 volt) will have a problem recharging a badly discharged battery string. Yours appears to be a 36Volt system. There is nothing you can add, like acid etc, that will help. But try this first before replacing them. I and others have used this method  with some success to reactivate neglected batteries after 6 months of storage.

I would disconnect the 2 main battery leads before starting but the series bridging can stay in place if you are very careful. Check the water level in each cell and top up add enough water to just cover the plates if necessary using distilled water. Then, try using an automotive stand-alone battery charger individually on each battery + and - terminals for a short period of time*. (Select either 6 volt for a 36 volt string or 12V for a 48 volt string) Check the polarity carefully when connecting to each battery,  and keep an eye on the water levels.!!!

Then, after the exercise is finished, reconnect the main leads and  connect the cart battery charger to finish off. Top off the battery water after charging is complete if required. They might not survive for the usual 5-6 years of service after this neglect but....

*A short period might be a max of 30 minutes each battery, using the 12V charger on the 8V battery. On a 6 volt charger/battery you can extend the time period to fully charge the battery if needed.

A 36Volt cart uses 6x 6V batteries, a 48V cart uses either 6x 8Volt batteries or 4x 12Volt batteries.

Good Luck!!! and HTH

What Alfa38User said, but I disagree with topping off the batteries with distilled water first. On a deeply discharged battery, one should only add enough distilled water to cover the plates. Top off with distilled water after they are charged. If one tops off first, there's a good chance they will boil over, and make a serious mess.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/FAQ/Maintenance.aspx

I would agree with kdbgoat, on the distilled water to be added, I was a bit too quick in using the term "top off"... Thanks for picking that up!!!

Edited my post a bit...

Some battery chargers won't charge a completely dead battery. What I did to an AGM battery a while back was put a pair of jumpers from a good battery, mine were 12v to the dead battery and then put the charger on them, removing the jumper after about 20 minutes. Had to do it 2 times because my scooter is 24v. Both batteries came back after leaving the key on for a couple months while not being used. 

kdbgoat said:
What Alfa38User said, but I disagree with topping off the batteries with distilled water first. On a deeply discharged battery, one should only add enough distilled water to cover the plates. Top off with distilled water after they are charged. If one tops off first, there's a good chance they will boil over, and make a serious mess.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/FAQ/Maintenance.aspx

He did say" Check the water level in each cell and top up add enough water to just cover the plates if necessary using distilled water".

Rene T said:
He did say" Check the water level in each cell and top up add enough water to just cover the plates if necessary using distilled water".

After his last edit. ;)

Back
Top Bottom