Installing Hard Wired Surge Protector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TxGentleman

I could use some advice as to where to install a hired wired surge protector in my 2005 Raptor Toy Hauler. The manufacturer wasn't any help in supplying wiring diagram. The said I should take it to a dealership

TxGentleman said:
I could use some advice as to where to install a hired wired surge protector in my 2005 Raptor Toy Hauler. The manufacturer wasn't any help in supplying wiring diagram. The said I should take it to a dealership

You need to install it between the entry point of the RV and the entrance panel of the RV. My 50 Amp receptical is in the rear of the rig but the wiring runs up to the front where the entrance panel is. I would have to remove a wall in my see through compartment and all the wiring is there. It would be easy to cut the wire and install the protector. I have the portable Progressive Surge Protector son I didn't have that problem. 

Rene is right on!

No wiring diagram should be needed.  You cut the supply wire at the proper place, strip all wires about ? inch, and connect like colors.  The box should indicate which wires are the supply and which feed the camper.  Also, if it is NOT a remote display, make sure to mount it where you can easily see the display on the surge protector.

I have the manual for the Progressive Industries model  It is very complete.  Only as I recall on this model you do not CUT the wire, you route it through the device.. but the only ohter issue is where to put it.

ON a trailer (no generator) either at the inlet, or at the power distribution panel

On a motor home. you can ADD the Auto Transfer Switch, if any, that's wher mine will go when I get around to converting it to an "installed" model

On my FW the back of the electric panel faces my front storage compartment.  I pulled the wires out of the panel, drill a hole into the storage area and connected to in surge protector and then ran to the panel.  I  did have to buy an additional 3 feet of wire.  The whole process took about an hour. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom