Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch - maintenance tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joezeppy

Ok, first of all, nothing bad happened!  8)

For those of you using an Andersen or maybe thinking about getting one, check your bolts on the adapter block from time to time. I know it's something that should be done on any equipment on a regular basis but like many, I'm probably a little lax in that department some times. When I dropped my 5th wheel off at the dealer on Saturday for some warranty work, I removed the adapter block since they may have to move it. I got out my trusty breaker bar and 15/16" socket and the nuts loosened up way to easily! They were still tight but should have been tighter. From now on I will check them at the beginning of every camping season and at least a couple of times during. The set-screws were still tight as hell.

Joezeppy said:
Ok, first of all, nothing bad happened!  8)

For those of you using an Andersen or maybe thinking about getting one, check your bolts on the adapter block from time to time. I know it's something that should be done on any equipment on a regular basis but like many, I'm probably a little lax in that department some times. When I dropped my 5th wheel off at the dealer on Saturday for some warranty work, I removed the adapter block since they may have to move it. I got out my trusty breaker bar and 15/16" socket and the nuts loosened up way to easily! They were still tight but should have been tighter. From now on I will check them at the beginning of every camping season and at least a couple of times during. The set-screws were still tight as hell.

Joe, aren't the set screws the most important fastener? There still should have been pressure exerted on the shank of the bolts even if the nuts were taken off.

You are correct, Rene - the set screws put downward pressure on the bolts holding them securely to the bottom lip of the kingpin. This downward pressure allows the set screws to dig into the underside of the pin box just a little bit which stops the block from spinning.

I agree - in theory the nuts are not even needed since the bolts themselves are jammed in there. If the set screws were to come loose, the bolts are basically the first line of defense in keeping the truck and trailer connected. Worst case (with no nuts on the bolts), if the set screws came loose, the bolts could vibrate loose and back out which could cause the adapter to fall off the kingpin.

Joe, do they use elastic stop nuts? If they don't, it may be wise to pick up a couple. Home Depot has them:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-5-8-11-in-Stainless-Steel-Nylon-Insert-Stop-Nut-5-Pack-43748/204786357?keyword=5%2F8%22+stop+nuts
Because they're SS, make sure you use a never seize compound. I would think that any auto parts store would have just steel.

grashley said:
Joe: Just curious, did you use a torque wrench or do it my way - get it tight as I can and pray?
These bolts are actually the only ones that do not have a specific torque requirement so I definitely used the tight-as-I-can method.

Rene T said:
Joe, do they use elastic stop nuts? If they don't, it may be wise to pick up a couple. Home Depot has them:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-5-8-11-in-Stainless-Steel-Nylon-Insert-Stop-Nut-5-Pack-43748/204786357?keyword=5%2F8%22+stop+nuts
Because they're SS, make sure you use a never seize compound. I would think that any auto parts store would have just steel.
When I installed the block last Spring I could have sworn they were nylon lock nuts but when I removed them last week, they just spun off by hand after I initially loosened them. I'll have to double check when I pick up the 5er next week. If they are not lock nuts, I agree it would be a good idea to replace them.

Joezeppy said:
When I installed the block last Spring I could have sworn they were nylon lock nuts but when I removed them last week, they just spun off by hand after I initially loosened them. I'll have to double check when I pick up the 5er next week. If they are not lock nuts, I agree it would be a good idea to replace them.

Someone must have stole them HUH?  ;D :D ;)

Back
Top Bottom