Insurance decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

accordionman

the search is over - we entered into a transaction to purchase a 2015 Airstream Classic and will be taking delivery in about 2 weeks +/-. Waiting for the hitch to arrive - a new Propride 1400.
1. Good Sam insurance - they offer a complete replacement coverage; i.e. if the AS gets totaled, they buy us another one of the same model and in the current year. This almost seems too good, but I called and spoke with them and they confirmed it.  But given the feedback I've seen on GS from time to time, I am curious if anyone else has their insurance and their experiences with them. (this replacement option is only available the first 5 years of the coach's life). It is a $ 114 option, so effectively for 3 years and $ 342, if a building falls on my RV, or the unthinkable happens I get a new Classic ( provided I'm still alive).
2. Progressive insurance is about $ 50 less, but they only have an "agreed price" which will be considerably less than the replacement cost.  Their agreed price is $ 75K, my purchase price was 83 K and a new classic is 131 K(MSRP). They won't go any higher on the agreed price.
3. If I go with Progressive, I should be OK on Emerg. Road Service. as it is included, if not I need to contract with someone. Choices are GS, Coach net, AAA RV.  I know that I've seen feedback on GS - some is sterling and some is pretty tarnished. I also heard good things about Coach net, but nothing negative. AAA, I heard does not cover the entire US.  Again, I'd love to hear feedback on these, if you have anything to add.

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Congrats on the purchase decision!  I haven't heard too many people complain about owning an Airstream.  ;)

Don't get too hung up on insurance.  Get a few more quotes (with the same terms, for an "apples to apples" comparison) and pick the one with the lowest premium.  It really should be that easy.  Who covers your truck?  Get a quote from them too... that's how I found the cheapest coverage for my trailer.  When I had a motorhome, Progressive was the best deal.  But rates can change considerably based on state of residence and your own coverage / credit history, so you've got to see how prices range for your parameters.

The chances of your trailer being completely totaled is exceedingly rare... I don't think I'd pay extra for the "new replacement" thing.  For roadside assistance, make sure there are no prohibitive dollar/mileage limits.  Although the most likely service you'll need on a trailer is a tire change... pretty simple and cheap.  Motorhomes are a different story and could require all sorts of different roadside services!  ;)

According to my local dealer, the easiest to deal with for a claim are Progressive, State Farm, All State.  The most difficult to deal with is National General (the actual carrier for Good Sam)  From personal experience with NG, I can agree with the difficulty of equitable claim adjustment.

we bundled out TT insurance with the same agent we have our cars and home with, and got a better premium on all of them because of the bundle. We're with Farmers, and in our little town they gave us the best rates on almost every thing we have, especially the home.

no I don't work for them, just passing along a 'satisfied customer' type thing, but the point in reality is check with whomever you have everything else with

papachaz said:
we bundled out TT insurance with the same agent we have our cars and home with, and got a better premium on all of them because of the bundle. We're with Farmers, and in our little town they gave us the best rates on almost every thing we have, especially the home.

no I don't work for them, just passing along a 'satisfied customer' type thing, but the point in reality is check with whomever you have everything else with

we did the same except we have State Farm- had a better rate than Progressive for our camper.  for a few bucks (about 3 a month) we have roadside on the truck and we also have good sam for our roadside service it covers the camper and the truck.

Anyone on this site that is a veteran.  Check USAA they have some good rates and can be even better if you bundle your insurance...[/b]

ysidive said:
Anyone on this site that is a veteran.  Check USAA they have some good rates and can be even better if you bundle your insurance...[/b]

USAA does not cover campers, but does contract with Progressive.

I'm insured with Good Sams insurance and tow insurance. Never an issue with claims so far. The tow insurance is pretty awesome. For 69.00 per year, this covers all my vehicles, unlimited miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom