Inverter problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wynn4578

Hey all. I really appreciate the help you guys offer and hopefully someday I can return the favor.

I have an old Jayco trailer pull (I think early 2000s ) that I've had for years. I don't use it anymore so it took me awhile to notice but we had a bad electrical storm awhile back and it killed pretty much everything that was plugged in. Today my son asked if he could use the Jayco since we have a newer trailer that we use. I went in to check it out before he came to get it and realized that none of the 12v system is working. I don't hear anything from the inverter. So I assume it is toast. The ac  or the heat don't come on but it think it needs 12v for those to work right? If it is the inverter what should I replace it with. Like I said I don't use this trailer anymore but everything did work. I'd like for it to work again. The brand of the old one is centurion and the trailer is 30 amp

First I believe you have a CONverter and not a INverter. A converter converts 110 Volt AC to 12 Volt DC. A inverter converts 12 Volt DC to 110 Volt AC.
Yes you need 12 Volt DC for almost anything to run in your trailer. All those items receive 12 Volt DC power from a battery.  Most converters recharges the battery. What is the condition of the battery. Check the voltage of it while NOT hook up to 110 Volt AC shore power. If it it's not fully charged, then either the battery is toast or the CONverter is not charging it. Check the output of the CONverter while plugged into 110 Volt AC shore power.

Seeing you haven't used it in a long time, how old are the tires? Tires that are 7 to 8 years old, should be replaced.

Rene T said:
First I believe you have a CONverter and not a INverter. A converter converts 110 Volt AC to 12 Volt DC. A inverter converts 12 Volt DC to 110 Volt AC.
Yes you need 12 Volt DC for almost anything to run in your trailer. All those items receive 12 Volt DC power from a battery.  Most converters recharges the battery. What is the condition of the battery. Check the voltage of it while NOT hook up to 110 Volt AC shore power. If it it's not fully charged, then either the battery is toast or the CONverter is not charging it. Check the output of the CONverter while plugged into 110 Volt AC shore power.

Seeing you haven't used it in a long time, how old are the tires? Tires that are 7 to 8 years old, should be replaced.

It doesn't have a battery. It hasn't had a battery on it in probably four or five years but everything worked in march before the lightening.

The tires are good.

I agree with the "Converter" not "Inverter
"

Three devices

Converter: Takes 120 VAC and makes 12 VDC (Well 13.6)  A good quality one is silent unless it gets hot enough to turn the fan on

Inverter: This takes 12vdc and makes 120vac .. andf again, is silent less it's hot enough to turn the ran on

Inverter/Charger: Does both jobs.  Same silence unless too hot.

Back
Top Bottom