88 Fleetwood Tioga arrow battery problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigtimmyg

I'm brand-new to RVs. I just picked up this 88 with only 40,000 miles on it. I'm having an issue with the second battery. As in it's not there!  The set up is draining the main battery. I went to look where the second battery should be and didn't see any normal battery terminals. I did see an empty wiring harness socket.  Is this what the second battery plugs into and if so where can I get the cable to plug in to the wiring harness? I'll attach a picture as soon as I figure out how to shrink it down to 350 K

Here is the pic. I think I may have answered it. I found what looks like a second solenoid at the grill. It has a wire running to the  other solenoid.  Do I wire the terminal directly to the other side of this secondary selinoid  and then wire the ground to somewhere on the chassis?

Attachments

• IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 41
I'm going to attempt to install the second battery this weekend. Any suggestions on which battery will fit?

Are you trying to add a second chassis battery, or are you saying you don't have any house batteries?

That doesn't look like the correct place for a house battery. Try looking in your storage lockers, and possibly under your steps. Most likely under the steps.

A class C usually has both batteries under the hood somewhere, especially in a vintage year like this one. It's worth checking the few compartments, though, if there are any tall enough to hold a battery.

There will surely be a place for a house battery, though, and that second solenoid is a clue. It's either a battery disconnect or an Aux Start solenoid that cross-connects house and chassis systems when required. Is there a switch on the dash labeled Aux or Emergency Start (or similar)?

My previous class C, a 1994 Cobra Passport, had the engine battery, as well as the house battery under the hood. It was on a Ford chassis/engine. If I recall correctly, the engine battery was on the left, as you face the engine, and the house battery was on the right. Since the generator was on the driver side, toward the front, that is probably why the house battery was on the same side.

I'm going to hook up there (possibly today). I wonder, since there seems to be limited space, if I can put a smaller lithium battery there instead of the bulkier deep cycle. I also may have a dead alternator as well. I'm thinking that even if the house battery isn't there the main battery shouldn't drain while the engine is on (which it does).

If someone modified your unit to function without a second or house battery, be sure to identify the change made at that time. It will have to be reversed or removed otherwise you will find yourself with another problem.

You are correct that the main battery should not be draining while the engine is on but it may be doing so if the alternator cannot keep up with the load or it is defective. All the more reason to check out any possible previous mods to the system.

The area most likely to have been modified would be a bridge around those relay contacts that provide the emergency start feature. It is there where the two 12V systems are in closest physical proximity to each other.

if I can put a smaller lithium battery there instead of the bulkier deep cycle.

I'd do some careful research on that, since mixing different battery types on one charging system can cause problems, and especially because of the problems that some lithium types have with catching fire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom