2016 Grand Tour - Does it have a built in Surge Protection capability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdjackson56

I have a 2016 Grand Tour. I've read that it has built in Surge Protection. If so do I need to buy one of those $300+ Surge Protection devices that connects between the power pedestal and the power cord?
I don't what to spend $ unnecessarily
Thanks for any advice.
Terry J.

If you have the same Magnum MS2812 2800 watt PSW inverter/converter we do, it does have some built in protections for overload and over-temp conditions while on shore-power. It will shut itself off if it detects either condition. While on battery-power, it also monitors the batteries for low and high voltage conditions, and will shut itself off to protect itself and your appliances.

To the best of my knowledge, it does not protect against some low voltage conditions - conditions that can occur in RV parks, and which can damage appliances. I also don't think it has an automatic reset delay to protect the AC compressor like some aftermarket power monitors do.

If a shore-power problem causes your inverter to shut off, your AC systems are dead (Like your res-fridge). If you have an in-line power monitor (like the Progressive EMS-PT50C) it will shut the power off to the coach when it detects a problem, leaving you with the ability to run your appliances off your still-functioning inverter. It will also auto-reset when it senses that the power is good again, but only after a built in delay to protect the AC's compressors.

We have the Magnum MS 2812 in our coach (it's a nice system) but even so, I wouldn't hook up to shore-power without our EMS-PT50C. FWIW

Kev

(By the way, welcome to the RVForum Terry!)

Welcome Terry.  This is a guess, but like Kev said I doubt you have that type of power entrance protection you would have from an aftermarket product.

Winnebago started using TRC transfer switches with some level of protection a few years ago, that's probably what you remember reading.

Thanks to Chrome, and old IE on my machine I can't pull up the  parts catalog to see what you have.

I did find some info from Winnebago about the transfer switches though:
Service tips: AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH

Thanks all for the responses.
I"ll purchase an additional pedestal surge protector/monitor just to be safe.
I don't want to damage any of my electrical just because I was "being cheap"
Thanks again.
TJ

It will be the smartest protection you can buy for your rig. And if you get the one that Kev mentions, it has lifetime warranty, and you will only buy it once.  Highly recommended.

Mine has the factory installed TRC SurgeGaurd 41260 that is surge integrated with the transfer switch and power management.  I'm sure yours has something similar.  It does quite a bit!  You can see the spec here.

products/surge-guard-rv/transfer-switches/50a-hardwires-41260 

If I felt I needed more protection I would probably upgrade that to the 40350-RVC rather than hang something additional in line.

okay,  Let me see if I've got this right.

to protect your new $400k Grand Tour... you should always plug in this simple $200 lifetime warranted aftermarket surge protector every time you use it.

for that kind of money why didn't they just hard wire one in  ?

The 2016 Grand Tour does have a SurgeGaurd stated in the brochure, it just doesn't give a model number.

okay, then does he need to spend the money on one or not ?

if so ....then does he also need to buy a lock box so it doesn't walk away ?

It would still be a good idea to have a separate surge/high/low voltage protection device. Mine is hard wired in so there's no messing with a separate, portable box.

The reason why a 'extra' device would be useful is it would be the first device to fail in a catastrophic electric event - lightning for one example. Replacing a stand alone box would be easier than tearing into a transfer switch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom