EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Canadian ticket  (Read 1427 times)

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
Re: Canadian ticket
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 10:40:23 AM »
And since it costs the US Mint more than a penny to make a penny not only would the Canadian economy gain over $200 we'd melt down the pennies for the copper at your expense...not exactly a pathway to #MAGA :-)

Most pennies are now made primarily of Zinc. Worth a little over a US dollar per pound.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 02:05:29 PM »
I don't want to get killed by a stupid air bag blowing up in a minor fender bender.

Our neighbor's car was totaled last week when she was hit broadside by a couple of boys who came out of a driveway very fast.  It was a hit and run, e.g. they jumped out of the car and ran.  But my comment is about the air bag.  She went to the hospital to be checked and fortunately had no serious injuries, but her entire chest from neck to waist was badly bruised from the air bag and she could barely move.  She slept in her recliner the first night because lying on the bed hurt so much.  That's why they recommend you sit farther back (she's short and can't if she wants to reach the pedals) and place your hands where your arms are less likely to be brush burned by an exploding air bag.  Way back when the dinosaurs roamed and we learned to drive, we were taught to place our hands on the steering wheel in the "10 and 2 o'clock position"  but that's been changed.  The new recommended positions are 8 o’clock and 4 o’clock, or slightly higher at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

ArdraF

ArdraF
:D :D

blw2

• ---
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
pretty sure interpol is scanning this thread....

I remember when they started phasing in the seat belt laws.  I grew up never wearing a belt, and learned to drive never wearing one...well actually I think we had to for the test....not sure.  Anyway, even when they had that time when they could only write warnings, I figured if you can't beat them join them.  I started wearing the belt and haven't looked back.

Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »
As a Firefighter/EMT who has been responding to car accidents for more than three decades, I can say with absolute certainly that seat belts, air bags and other safely features definitely save lives. We pull up on accident scenes that most likely would have been fatal back in the day, but folks are walking away from them.

We see different types of injuries, such as from air bags or crumble zones. For bikers - helmets and leather are a big factor in reducing injuries.

As to the OP, I would pay the ticket and not have to worry about what the future might bring.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »
 :)) :)) :))   My brother, his son and his daughter-in-law are firefighters with paramedic qualifications.  You are right on with your advice.

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 09:54:02 AM »
I can remember back in the day ('60's) when my Boss refused to wear a seat belt. His excuse was that if he were to go through a bridge rail he would be drowned!! We worked for a very vehicle safety oriented company with more than a thousand fleet vehicles that insisted on their use and you could be fired for refusing. Fortunately, AFIK, he was only driving his own personal vehicle at that time and probably not on business.

We had to take company drivers courses, including driving on ice, and be tested and certified by them to use ANY vehicle, including your own, for business purposes. My Canadian Armed Forces experience was very similar and was very vehicle specific.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:58:23 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »
Being most serious automobile injuries are head injuries...I guess our government should also require all of us to wear full face helmets and Hans devices.

and you should always wear your life jacket on a cruise ship...you never know when you're gonna get hit by a giant rogue wave !
 ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:10:49 PM by TonyDtorch »

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 02:03:02 PM »
I learned to drive in pre seat belt days and at first was reluctant to wear it, as Tony says what's next? Mandatory full face helmets? Now I am so used to wearing it I am uncomfortable without especially in an old Jeep with no doors. ;D Plus the damn buzzer won't shut up. To the op, suck it up and pay the piper. It could save you some grief down the road.

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2017, 11:35:36 PM »
What ticked me off when I got my first car was that people told me it was illegal to install 5 point harnesses in street cars. I feel naked without a seatbelt in a car or the RV. The motorcycle on the other hand.......
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2017, 02:07:26 AM »
Ahh... the good ol' days before seat belt laws,  wide bench seats,  big metal dashboards,  drive-in movies. 

I remember (fondly),    you actually can feel naked without a seat belt. 

I have kids now, so thank God they require them.

;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:41:44 AM by TonyDtorch »

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2017, 06:18:23 AM »
When someone tells you something like "It is Illegal to install a 5 point harness".. Ask them where it is written, SHOW ME THE LAW...  There is a good chance they can't.  Same for driving barefoot.. Good chance they can't.

One down side to ignoring the ticket.. IF YOU FORGET about it,  and re-=visit Canada..... You may find your visit.... Extrended.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

SkateBoard

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2017, 08:54:17 AM »
When someone tells you something like "It is Illegal to install a 5 point harness".. Ask them where it is written, SHOW ME THE LAW...  There is a good chance they can't.  Same for driving barefoot.. Good chance they can't.

One down side to ignoring the ticket.. IF YOU FORGET about it,  and re-=visit Canada..... You may find your visit.... Extrended.

Many states if not all it's illegal to have a 5 point harness. All seat belts must have a red button single release for paramedics.

phil-t

• ---
  • Here For The Duration
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »
Many states if not all it's illegal to have a 5 point harness. All seat belts must have a red button single release for paramedics.
I'd like to see that written, somewhere.  What about 5 point child safety seats?  There is absolutely nothing written in the NY Vehicle Traffic and Safety Law about 5 point harnesses.

For the OP ---  Non seatbelt use is Everyone's Problem - Inpatient hospital costs for unbelted crash victims are 50% higher than those for belted victims.  Society pays 85% of those costs, not the crash victims.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an F53 Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar

Old Radios

• ---
  • The Turtle - Our Harley Hauler
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »
Ask any doctor, paramedic, or first responder.  They will tell you not wearing a seatbelt is stupid. My son who is a firefighter tells us some really gory stories he sees when he gets to an accident where someone wasn't wearing a seatbelt. My cousin rolled his car not wearing a seatbelt. When you get thrown, you get thrown in front of the rolling car.  He was fortunate. It only crushed both his legs and missed his torso and head as it rolled over him.

You deserved the ticket. Pay it.

You will also have trouble collecting for your injuries in court if you don't wear a seatbelt as the opposing lawyers and insurance company can successfully claim you attributed to your own injuries by not wearing one.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:55:04 AM by Old Radios »
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Custom Toad
2015 Harley Softail Deluxe Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

SkateBoard

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »
I'd like to see that written, somewhere.  What about 5 point child safety seats?

They take the whole baby seat which is held in place by the cars belt with the red colored release button.

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2017, 01:06:22 PM »
The illegal 5 point seatbelt law the Cop is referring to,  is the FED DOT seat belt law that requires all seatbelts used on the highways to be DOT tested/approved and factory installed.

It's one of those laws that under "literal" enforcement can also have negative effects. 

(an example) ...It is technically illegal to retrofit seatbelts into an old car that wasn't equipped with seatbelts from the factory.

Aftermarket parts sometimes clash with the law,  some LEOs enforce the intent of the law, and some enforce the exact wording of the law.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:36:53 PM by TonyDtorch »

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »

But... the 5 point I wanted to use had a large red button right in the center of my chest. Bam! I'm out of it.

I just think the local LEOs didn't want me to feel TOO comfortable with high speed turns and such.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

Hosted by Over The Network