Fifth Wheel - To unhook or not to unhook on single overnighter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1down

When we're travelling from point A to point B with overnight stops at campgrounds along the way, I generally drop the landing gear just enough to relax the load on the truck and unhook the trailer plug if the campsite is reasonably level. 

Thoughts? 

1down said:
When we're travelling from point A to point B with overnight stops at campgrounds along the way, I generally drop the landing gear just enough to relax the load on the truck and unhook the trailer plug if the campsite is reasonably level. 

Thoughts?

Same here.

If you do that and the FW is leveled or mostly leveled, go ahead.  Otherwise, unhook completely.

My biggest concern would be out of level with an absorption fridge.  If you are close enough for the fridge, go for it!

Remember to unplug the wiring harness from the truck.  If left connected, it can drain the truck battery, making it very hard to start in the morning!

For a one night stay I try to get it as level possible and drop the front supports to help stabilize the rig, but that's all and sometimes I don't even drop the front supports for just a one night lay over.

I do the same thing with my TT. we go once a month to the grand daughters JR Rodeo and take the TT with us. We usually go Friday evening after the wife gets home from work, so we're not up at the crack of dawn having to drive down there. It also gives us a nice comfy place to go to in between her events, a heated or air conditioned place to keep the 4 month old grand son. The parking lot there is about as close to perfectly level as can be, so I don't unhook at all. I just drop the stabilizers before I let the slide out, hook up the honda 3000eu let out the awning and we're set.

this is our set up back in April, I didn't take any pics for may

Attachments

• IMG_6050.JPG
    IMG_6050.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 28
I've done this several times with our TTs. I have not had the opportunity to do this with the 5th wheel yet but I would not hesitate as long as I did not have to yank the back of the truck up in the air too much to level things up.

If you operate the slides on uneven ground you  may put them in a bind, and cause headaches.

Back
Top Bottom