How do you waterproof Tent Canvas ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdgodaat

Alwright, have a hybrid with pop out tents canvas. Just like a pop-up trailer tent. Spent one day camping in rainy situation and had to constantly wipe the inside of all roof canvas to prevent indoor rainstorm.
Originally sprayed with camp dry siloicone spray. That didn't work obviously. :mad:

Will accept any reasonable remedy. Please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Desperate :eek: :mad:

The product most used to waterproof fabric of all kinds is Scotch Guard

As to how well it works...... Well.  it usually does well

Though it has been a couple decades since I last used it and things change, usually not for the better. I do not know if tihs product is one of them.

You can also get a selection of products at RV stores such as Camping World if I recall

The product most used to waterproof fabric of all kinds is Scotch Guard

As to how well it works...... Well. it usually does well

Though it has been a couple decades since I last used it and things change, usually not for the better. I do not know if tihs product is one of them.

You can also get a selection of products at RV stores such as Camping World if I recall how to waterproof a canvas tent
I've got two canvas wedge-type tents I got used to and need to waterproof them before an upcoming event. What do you guys find the most effective and efficient way to do this?

This is what most people recommend (obviously I'm not too concerned with being HC like my oilcloth)

I've got two canvas wedge-type tents I got used to and need to waterproof them before an upcoming event. What do you guys find the most effective and efficient way to do this?
We owned a popup for 9 years and our son had a hybrid for 8 years, until last spring. Neither of us ever had to do any special treatment of the canvas parts but my son did say that the seals where the beds fold in do need care to be sure that they do not leak when closed. Pay particular attention to the front as it gets wind driven water if traveling in rain. Just use a silicone spray on the seals and use care to make sure that they go in properly and don't get torn or damaged. He did have to replace the front one when a corner came loose.

Some of it is likely condensation on the inside of the material. Camp Dry (or Dri?) worked well for us if the material is actually woven, most hybrids seem to use a vinyl though. There is seam sealer you cover any seams with.

My thinking is similar to Pancake Bill's, i.e. condensation is likely a factor. Leakage is usually drips or streams of water, while condensation is typically an all-over wetness. Condensation occurs often in humid weather or with people breathing inside or using the cookstove.

Is the fabric actually canvas, or (more likely) some woven synthetic fabric? Or maybe even vinyl. Woven fabrics are porous and will eventually need to be waterproofed, but vinyl does not. Vinyl is, however, more likely to have condensation. Canvas needs more frequent waterproofing than synthetic weaves.

Some good waterproofing products include:

Kiwi Camp Dry
Starbrite Waterproofing
303 Fabric Guard

Back
Top Bottom