WATER HEATER NOT WORKING

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AUSSIEBORN

We have a 2016 Reflection 5th wheel by Grand Design fitted with an Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater. Today we noticed that we didn't have any hot water. Ours is a combination Gas and Electric system. Neither option works. More aggravating is the fact that the actual heater doesn't seem to coincide with the diagrams in either the product manual or the RV manual. Can anyone walk us through this problem? Better yet, provide any Youtube link?  Many thanks.

Sounds like the water heater is missing the 12V required to control it, that would be my first guess. Check for a possible blown fuse in the 12V distribution system.

If neither mode works, the problem might be 12v power to the heater circuit board. It won't do anything without the circuit board operational, and it needs 12v power for that.

Are you sure the heater isn't heating? Could it be that the heater is hot but the heated water doesn't make it to the faucets? That's a fairly common issue and can be caused by a stuck check valve or an open cross-connect between hot and cold lines (of which there are several possibilities in most RVs). Feel the side of the heater tank (the pressure relief valve is good spot) to see it it is warm before deciding the heater itself is broke.

One tool I never travel without is a multimeter.  Measures both AC and DC voltages and makes troubleshooting much easier.  I'm an electrician, so maybe it's not as simple as I think, but it's not hard to use and they are available at very reasonable prices.  If you're not comfortable working with 120V, though, ignore what I said.  Don't want any accidents.

Back
Top Bottom