Battery Change Out Procedure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1down said:
When changing out battery(s) do I need to disconnect shore power?

Yes either do that or shut off the breaker to the converter or shut off the main disconnect breaker at the entrance panel.  If you don't, the converter will be putting out power to charge the battery and ther battery cables will be energized.

As long as you don't let the positive lead touch anything, disconnecting shore power would not be necessary.

Always disconnect negative battery lead first and reconnect it last.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
I think I saw that in a book titled "Famous Last Words"  ;)

X2. Changing the batteries with shore power on is the same as changing your car battery with the engine running. Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? No.

By all means make sure you use you phone to take photos of the battery hookups before you start changing anything. Don't trust your memory or luck. I have read too many horror stories on this forum from people who managed to hook up their battery backwards and fried a bunch of thing.

Wizard46 said:
As long as you don't let the positive lead touch anything, disconnecting shore power would not be necessary.

I got the impression that they are fairly new to this so why take the chance. It only takes a second to unplug.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom