El Paso to Sedona route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frizlefrak

OK....wife and I are planning a trip to Sedona next week.  We are looking to go I-10 to Lordsburg, then highway 70 to Globe.  From there it's up to Payson and then Highway 260 to Camp Verde, where we are actually staying.  Anything I should know about this route?  No worries about grades, I pull serious grades out here.....but are there any bad switchbacks that I should be concerned with?  The trip is about 450 miles, and I'd like to do it in one shot.  Pulling a 30' travel trailer with a 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins.  Thanks in advance.  :)

Should be no problem.
I drove the route from Safford to Mesa a couple of weeks ago and highway was in good shape,  Don't know about 70 between Lordsburg and Safford. I assume you want to avoid I-10 due to possibility of dust closing the highway on road between Lordsburg and Wilcox.

Thanks Lowell....

We just wanted to go the two lane route and stay off the interstate as much as possible.  I did a Google Map highway view, looks like a nice two laner between Globe and Camp Verde....just wanted to make sure it was practical to do it in one day.  50 miles one a fairly straight two laner vs 50 miles on a twisty road where you can only make 30 MPH makes the difference of whether we can get there and get checked in before dark.  The park wants us checked in before dark. 

You'll have some twisting between Strawberry and the 87/260 intersection. On 260 after you leave 87 there will be about a 15 mile 6% downgrade. You'll go from about 7000 ft down to about 3000 ft at Camp Verde. Just take it slow on the down grade and you'll be fine.

Where are you staying in Camp Verde.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
You'll have some twisting between Strawberry and the 87/260 intersection. On 260 after you leave 87 there will be about a 15 mile 6% downgrade. You'll go from about 7000 ft down to about 3000 ft at Camp Verde. Just take it slow on the down grade and you'll be fine.

Where are you staying in Camp Verde.

Thanks Snowbird!

Sounds easy enough.  I deal with 8-10% grades and large climbs and elevation drops out here every trip.  Diesel exhaust brake makes them a non issue  :)

I'm pulling a 30' trailer.....no hairpins around Strawberry that will cause issues there?

Frizlefrak said:
I'm pulling a 30' trailer.....no hairpins around Strawberry that will cause issues there?

You shouldn't have any problems. I see trailers that size heading for the high country every weekend.

There is one "hairpin" north of Strawberry where the speed limit for cars is 25mph but other than that nothing I can remember that would give you any problems.

Where are you staying in Camp Verde? We live 2 miles east of I-17 on 260.

In traveling from Camp Verde to Sedona....Unless you want or need to go to the Village of Oak Creek on SR179 I would strongly suggest taking SR260 to Cottonwood and then SR89A north to Sedona. Much, much less traffic.

With all the traffic circles in the VOK it's not unusual to have traffic backed up to the Ranger Station on 179.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
In traveling from Camp Verde to Sedona....Unless you want or need to go to the Village of Oak Creek on SR179 I would strongly suggest taking SR260 to Cottonwood and then SR89A north to Sedona. Much, much less traffic.

With all the traffic circles in the VOK it's not unusual to have traffic backed up to the Ranger Station on 179.

I whole heartily agree.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Where are you staying in Camp Verde? We live 2 miles east of I-17 on 260.

We have reservations at Zane Grey RV park.  Thanks for the tips.....we leave Saturday early.  It's 450 miles, should be able to do it in one shot.  Can't wait to get on the road.....this is, for various reasons, our first vacation in 3 years.  We had planned Sedona in 2015 but weather kept turning to crap every time we could get time off.  Really only want to spend one day in Sedona....the rest exploring the area.  Bearizona is at the top of the to do list!  Want to get in some hiking, photography, and road/mountain biking.  More than anything, we just badly need a break.  Been a tough couple of years. 

Arrived in Camp Verde yesterday at about 4:30 PM.  Trip took 9 hours and change.  Route was great the whole way.  Had to deal with 20-25 mph wind, but trailer didn't give me any serious grief. 

This park (Zane Grey) is gorgeous!!  Tall trees and right on the river.  Everyone is complaining about the heat...feels the same as home to us :) .  Went up to Jerome today.....off to Bearizona tomorrow.  Loving the area. 

If you make it back to Jerome, try the Haunted Hamburger.  I used to live just on the other side of that hill.

Did you run into any fire issues on your route?  It's been a really active season there so far, that would be my only comment, check for road closures due to wildfires. 

ip076 said:
If you make it back to Jerome, try the Haunted Hamburger.  I used to live just on the other side of that hill.

Did you run into any fire issues on your route?  It's been a really active season there so far, that would be my only comment, check for road closures due to wildfires.

No road closures, but there was a big fire in Safford.  Couple of minor ones near Pine, but looks like they have them under control.  So far really enjoying our stay....got up to Bearizona and Sedona last couple of days.  dDrove up 89A north of Sedona to the summit,....gorgeous drive.  Just sat by the river and enjoyed the day.  This trip is about relaxing and enjoying the beauty of the area.  Can't believe the week is already halfway over....

Back home!  Had a great trip.  Everyone was complaining about the heat...felt the same as home.  ;D

Trip home was uneventful....until we got about 40 miles north of Lordsburg. Wind started getting ugly.  Between Lordsburg and Las Cruces was blowing about 25-30 MPH....right at my limit of when I will tow the travel trailer.  It wiggled a bit now and then, but didn't give me any serious grief.  Had the wind been any stronger, we would have cried uncle.  We were close enough to home by then that we probably would have just found a park to drop the trailer for a few days and headed home with just the truck and come back and got the trailer later. 

Now to drop into my recliner and get caught up on Nascar.....  :) 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom