Towing with/without fuse pulled .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred1845

Have a 2007 Saturn Ion.Owners manual says to pull a fuse before towing vehicle.The Roadmaster Inivisbrake system has a wire to trickle charge battery  while towing.My question is if it is being 'charged' do I still need to pull fuse.I am the one who had the Saturn  battery that died if not started in  3 days.Turns out that GM dealer found problem after 3 days.It was the radio 'module' not the fuse,which I had removed earlier but didn't solve problem .It is working fine now .Thanaks .

There are various reasons for pulling a fuse while towing, not necessarily just battery discharge.  Especially on newer cars with more active electronic management systems.  GM's Stabil-trak system, electric power steering, and anti-lock brake computers can go whacky if active while towing.

I suspect that battery discharge was the only reason on your '07 Saturn, but don't have the specific knowledge to guarantee that.

For what it's worth, a 10A charge was NOT sufficient to keep the battery on a 2007 GMC Acadia from running down under tow, even with the Ignition fuse pulled. It also produce Check Engine lights and ABS & Stabiltrak warning lights.  GMC eventually decided that the entire electronic control subsystem needed to be shut down by pulling a major (50A) fuse.

If physically pulling the fuse each time is a hassle, get a switch kit, or the parts for one. This runs wires from the fuse slot to a switch you add to the dash. Label the switch tow/drive and the rest is simple.

Thanks for all your advice.Looks like fuse will be pulled .Don't need another problem while towing or at campsite .Makes sense to me,so fuse will be pulled .Don't need more problems while were camping .Thanks again .

Back
Top Bottom